Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Live Mail account associated with someone elses Xbox

Options
  • 05-11-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

This post is a bit long...

I am having a bit of a weird issue,

About 2 months ago i set up a new email account on live.com.
    My name was free, so i took it. About a month ago, i went to log in, and it was gone. Blocked or password changed.
    I sent Microsoft an email and they replied with this (normal blurb):
    We recently received a request to recover your account Microsoft account xxxxxxxxxxxx@live.com. Unfortunately, we were unable to verify your ownership of this account using the information you provided. Microsoft takes the security and privacy of our customers very seriously, and our commitment to protecting your personal information requires that we take the utmost care in ensuring that you are the account owner.

Please submit a new account verification form
    At this point, your best option is to submit a new form with as much accurate information as you can gather. The more information you can include in the form, the better the chance you’ll have of regaining access to your account. We’ve included a few tips below to help you fill out the form as completely and accurately as possible

They added a link to submit a form. I didn't bother, as i thought maybe somebody had used the offer to renew their email address, or had one with Hotmail etc.. (I remember it saying something about Hotmail users etc having priority.)

So i thought that was a pain in the @ss.

I purchased Windows 8 last week. I set up a new email account (As required when installing).

I went to download PinballFX 2 today, as i noticed it is free for Windows 8 users. It requires an Xbox Live account. I had to set one up, using my existing live account.

Now it won't log in to my Xbox live account, and says logging in. I changed password, and made sure my backup email address, and security question are still mine, (They are).

The Xbox Live account has a name associated with it already. CattiestSoup86. Not a name i chose.

Am i likely to lose this account now as well?

My account has not been hacked as i just set it up.

Sorry for the long post. Thank for reading if you did. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thrillhouse763

Hello!

The Gamertag CattiestSoup86 was randomly assigned to you when you opened up the Games App on your PC. This Gamertag is attached to the account that you created when you installed Windows 8. It is a terrible feature that Microsoft decided to add and has screwed over many people such as myself.

In regard to you trying to log in with your existing account, did you have your existing Gamertag or Xbox Live account on another email address? Could it be under the one you setup a couple months ago and is now nonexistent? If so, you are in for a world of trouble.

What you then have is 2 Xbox accounts on two separate accounts. Xbox only allows one email associated with one Xbox Live account. You will then have to create a 3rd dummy account to transfer your working email off of whatever Gamertag it's on. THEN you have to wait 30 days for it to process due to security reasons.

Sorry :(

Advertisement