Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISSCERT Annual Cybercrime Conference & Cyber Challenge

Options
  • 05-11-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Folks

I thought some of you may be interested in the IRISSCERT annual cybercrime conferenc coming up on November 22nd. We have a number of interesting speakers lined up for the conference including;

• Marcus J. Ranum, Chief Security Officer of Tenable Security, Inc.
    • Michael Moran, coordinator for Crimes against Children, Interpol
    • Rik Ferguson - Director Security Research & Communication EMEA - Trend Micro
    • Neira Jones - Head of Payment Security - Barclaycard
    • Candid Wueest, Principal Threat Researcher, Symantec
    and local speakers such as
    • Gavin O'Gorman, Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst, Symantec
    • Eoin Keary CISSP, CISA, Chief Technology Officer, BCC Risk Advisory
    • Mark Hillick, Senior Engineer, KybEire
    More details on the event are at http://www.iriss.ie/iriss/irisscon.htm

In parallel to the event we will be running a cyber challenge http://www.iriss.ie/iriss/cyberchallenge.htm which this year will be hosted by the Honeyn3t Project. We will have various challenges on the day to suit both beginners and those of you who are more skilled.

Hope to see some of you there

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Anyone from boards going to be taking part in the security challenge?

I'll be attending the talky side of this as there are some speakers I'm very interested in hearing so I wont be taking part in the challenge...and the fact that I dont want my ha><or skiddie level mad skillz derided in public :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There was a decent chance I'd be going to the talky bit of this too, but ended up on a training course on those dates instead.

Pity really as like LoLth there are speakers there I'd be interested in hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'll be at the talks part, but don't have time to setup a team for the CTF event.

So should be have a forum meetup/beers after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jealous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BrianHonan

Hi Folks

Thanks for the interest in the event.

Regarding the cyberchallenge we have taken on board some of the feedback from previous years. One of the biggest issues was that people taking part in the cyberchallenge would miss the talks.

This year we have put on various type of challenges. So people can take part in all the challenges for the day or simply choose some of the challenges they wish to take part in and also get to see some of the talks.

If you are interested in taking part in the challenge and don't have enough for a team we can arrange for people to team up together on the day.

• Advertisement

I'll be at the talks part, but don't have time to setup a team for the CTF event.

So should be have a forum meetup/beers after?

well, there's a networking/drinks bit on the agenda, no harm in boardsies claiming a spot at the end of the bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Will be there for the drinks after too, be good to meetup with people!

bah. the gods of alcohol have seen fit to cast me out once more! I'll be there for the talky bits but wont be able to hang around for the beer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Does anyone know what parking is like in that area, need to get away quick tomorrow evening:mad::mad: so will have to bring the car. Is there parking in the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There's fairly limited parking in the hotel, it's usually full. You might get lucky if you are there early.

There's plenty of roads around the area that you can park on. Have to pay for most though.

• Advertisement

Have to say the talks were excellent this year (one or two I wasnt mad about but that was more from me not being directly involved with the material being covered - tumblr and managing incidents using social media).

I noticed that there was a dictaphone type thingy on the podium during the talks , anyone know if the recordings will be made available to attendees or general public?

Trinity lads won the CTF event (again!) and the sponsors/exhibitors were very helpful and didnt mind being pestered at all :)

all in all a very productive and informative convention imho, just sorry I couldnt hang around for the beer. maybe next year.

We will be posting the slides online once we get all the speakers' to agree.

There won't be videos of each presentation, instead we will be putting together a quick synopsis of the day from both the talks and the capture the flag. Similar to what we done in previous years.

Once they are available I will let people know

Will the audio recordings from the talk be released?
    BrianHonan wrote: »
    We will be posting the slides online once we get all the speakers' to agree.

There won't be videos of each presentation, instead we will be putting together a quick synopsis of the day from both the talks and the capture the flag. Similar to what we done in previous years.

Once they are available I will let people know

Good suggestion, will see what we can do. Will need to check what was recorded and also get permission from speakers if enough of their talks were captured.

Will be posting the presentations to the IRISSCERT site www.iriss.ie over the weekend

Hi Folks

Just to let you know some of the presentations are now online at http://www.iriss.ie/iriss/irisscon.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Sorry Guys,

but were on that page are the presentations available?

On the Schedules list on the right hand side under Topic, it's not 100% straight away.

There is "Presentation" which links to the PDF after the "Topic".

Sorry Guys,

but were on that page are the presentations available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Thanks! I still couldn't see the links in chrome, I opened the page in IE and straight away I could see the links.

I'm running chrome Version 23.0.1271.95 m with add ons disabled and it hides the link for some reason.

Thanks anyway. I really enjoyed the day

Advertisement