Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum requirements for Joining Club

Options
  • 05-11-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of joining a triathlon club in the new year and I was wondering if there is a minimum fitness level I should have before I do.

For example, should I be able to run 5k in under 30 mins and be able to cycle 40k at an average speed of 25k per hour?

I'm able to swim so at least that is something.

I really don't want to join a club just to find out that I am so far behind everyone else that I may as well be training alone.

I guess I am looking for some target goals to work on over the next 8 weeks that ensure that when I join a club I'll be able to keep up with everyone else to some degree.

What were your fitness levels like before you joined a club?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It depends on the club.
    Go along to a couple of sessions and see if there's a group you can fit in with for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I wouldn't worry about your base fitness too much, certainly in the club I'm in there are training sessions suitable for all levels (and that could be from total beginner to winners of races).. If you're really concerned about it, drop the club an email and give them an idea of what you can do at the moment and ask what sessions you'd probably get on best to being with?

For running.. track sessions or laps of fields are good as you can always take a break if you die, turbo training/spin classes mean you'll neve get left beind if you're weak on the bike, and pool based swim sessions you can always fit in with a slow lane and let people lap you if you're not a great swimmer. The sessions that you might have problems with if your fitness isnt great or you dont do much training right now would be outdoor group spins, tempo runs outdoors. If people are going for a long slow run... you can always try go out with them, but plan to only do the first few km or miles, even if they're doing something much longer than you can currently do - but then drop off when you've had enough based on your current fitness.

Dont let fitness be a blocker to joining a club.. it will make it all a lot more fun as you get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Some clubs do actually cater for all levels.
    Some clubs will tell you straight out what you need to be at and if you're not there's no point in joining.
    Some clubs will tell you that they cater for all levels but will drop you on every cycle and run and think nothing of not waiting.

Pick wisely :) Try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Thanks for the info folks.

What I've taken from the replies is that it is entirely club dependent. I could be fitter or un-fitter than I am right now and my local club still might not be right for my level.

I guess my first step will be to research clubs in my area and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info folks.

What I've taken from the replies is that it is entirely club dependent. I could be fitter or un-fitter than I am right now and my local club still might not be right for my level.

I guess my first step will be to research clubs in my area and go from there.

Where are you based and perhaps some more advice can be given.

• Advertisement

I live near to Dundrum shopping center in Dublin.

Based on a quick google the 2 nearest clubs would seem to be pulse and T3.

I'll do some research to see what there training schedules and then make contact with the one that suits best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'll do some research to see what there training schedules and then make contact with the one that suits best.

Peter Kern, who posts on here coaches T3 I think.

Pulse are better though. :)

Thanks RQ, I'll bear that in mind :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Your tri level would not be a concern for T3 or Pulse and to be honest no other tri club, especially , since you can swim. Even belpark has become very beginner friendly over the last 2 years.

At t3 it would be by far more important that you are a decent person rather than your level . Its a club that will want to stay small and where all people know each other.

Since I worked with all the athletes that won overall Irish national titles for Pulse so far - I believe 7 out of 8 pulse nat titles have a bit of pb3 coaching signature - I think Pulse is a great club, and I can endorse them whole heartly, too, especially for beginner structures .

Anyway Pulse and T3 have very different structures ( t3 50 members Pulse 200 members) and you have to find out for yourself what suits you better. Non is better or worse, it really depends on you what floats your boat.

<snip>

Seemingly it can be dished out but not taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Don't worry about your fitness level. If you are interested in triathlon contact your local clubs and see if they have an open evening or open club session you can possibly attend. You will need to be a Triathlon Ireland member for insurance purposes but there is no need to commit to joining a club right away.

I joined my first club after meeting some of their members at some of the races and I liked the welcoming feeling that was extended. Don't be put off by high horse views about one club being better than another because of x, y or z.

Go along, you will either gel with the people or you won't and take it from there. Remember, you may not get to do all the club training sessions, the most important thing about clubs is the knowledge and support structures within that will enable you to grow into the athlete you want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

you will need to be a Triathlon Ireland member for insurance purposes but there is no need to commit to joining a club right away.

I believe you can do up to three sessions without joining the club and be covered on the TI insurance as long as you sign in on the official sheets. but you can get associate membership of TI for €15 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I joined a Triathlon club this week. They cater for all levels, however you need to be able to swim competently enough, you won't be taught. You should be able to swim 100-200 meters freestyle.

The club will have a beginners swim group. But you can skip a couple of lenghts of a set if you are wrecked. I held of joining the club for about 3-4 months and concentrated on improving my swimming.

I was running last night, the coach kept an eye on me and recommended I sit out a couple of drills, so again most levels seem to be catered for.

I havent cycled yet, but the coach says the group will wait for slower or struggling members.

Everyone has to start somewhere, I reckon the quicker you get down to the club, the quicker you get up to speed as the training you'll be doing will be of a higher quality.

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Everyone has to start somewhere, I reckon the quicker you get down to the club, the quicker you get up to speed as the training you'll be doing will be of a higher quality.

Not always.

Best of luck with the new club - which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

tunney wrote: »
    Not always.

Best of luck with the new club - which one?

Piranha

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ooh Criky

Hi, if you check out the Pulse website you will see a whole new format to the Saturday cycle schedule, New meeting places have been added to appeal to alot more people of all levels! New meting points on Saturdays will be Phoenix park, Tallaght and Dundrum. These meeting points will rotate every week.

Advertisement