Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal in aldi

Options
  • 05-11-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Guys,

Seen coal 10 k bag for 5.99, has anyone used it, is it any good, im paying 10 euro for same size bag at local petrol station , but its very good and not a huge amount of ash which is great,

Great value if good coal tho

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

€10 for a 10kg bag is ridiculous as a 40 kg bag (smokeless) only costs €17.50 from coal yard(Eddies,Baldoyle)or hardware(Grange). Save yourself €22.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

ninty wrote: »
    €10 for a 10kg bag is ridiculous as a 40 kg bag (smokeless) only costs €17.50 from coal yard(Eddies,Baldoyle)or hardware(Grange). Save yourself €22.50.

Well yeah and no.

For a 10kg bag its a decent price (one in OP). Not everyone can lug around a 40kg bag too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭red bellied

10 euro for a 40kg bag in the Pet Stop Warehouse in Sligo retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The same outfit have those prices in Ballina & Castlebar as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

Well yeah and no.

For a 10kg bag its a decent price (one in OP). Not everyone can lug around a 40kg bag too easy

Meant 20 kg,

Weve tried loads of coal and this one is best of heat and no load of ash, no point buying cheap stuff and getting a fire full of ash and no heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 JTPB

Yes, this is the "Causeway coal" from Antrim, and it seems good enough, there is some Blue flame when you burn it - blue flame is hotter than yellow or red.

Though I would like to point out that there are lots machined nuggets in it stamped "L" (Lignite??) - a majority in fact, there are also an awful lot of what I would call "ordinary coal lumps" (bituminous, perhaps?) and about 500 grams of slack in the end of the bag...I've bought 3.

I'm no expert but, it is massively better than the drenched wooden logs Aldi seem to be selling at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

can you burn this in a standard stove ? i usually only burn logs / briquettes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

14 euro 50 cents for 40kg Polish Premium Coal in most builders providers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Great stocking filler for the kids!

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Great stocking filler for the kids!

"Daddy,why is there only a lump of coal in my Christmass Stocking??"

"Because son,Santa found out that you were a naughty boy".

:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Dunno about the rest of you, but recently bought kindling from aldi.

Unfortunately, my kindling is damp and won't start property (ooh matron)
    Anyone else finding it crap?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Ghandee wrote: »

Exactly the same happend to me, damp and usless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Ghandee wrote: »

I posted in the other thread already but I bought the logs at the same time they had the kindeling and they are too wet for burning, 35% should be 20's

seems that aldi are pis$ing a good amount of people off with this stunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

best kindling i ever bought was 2 by 1 lats in my local builders providers, 16 foot length for 1.80, i bought ten and cut them up, i had enough for last winter and this.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Not a bargain, average price 20kg bags is €7-€10 in garages, centras etc. €6 for 10 kg, expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Dan82 wrote: »
    Meant 20 kg,
    Snaggerman wrote: »
    Not a bargain, average price 20kg bags is €7-€10 in garages, centras etc. €6 for 10 kg, expensive!

if you had read the whole thread you would have seen that your point was already made and the op said that he meant to say that they were 20 kg bags.

why didnt you read the thread before you posted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

green123 wrote: »
    if you had read the whole thread you would have seen that your point was already made and the op said that he meant to say that they were 20 kg bags.

why didnt you read the thread before you posted ?

I did, but they're 10 kg bags anyway, 'why didn't you read the thread before you posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Snaggerman wrote: »
    I did, but they're 10 kg bags anyway, 'why didn't you read the thread before you posted?

i did read the thread and that information was not available at the time i posted.

you didnt correct the op about the 20 kg because you didnt read the thread.

you got lucky here and firestarter has bailed you out

ANYWAY...........

A 40kg bag of Hayes Polish Premium Coal is 14 euro 50 cents in Chadwicks and Heiton Buckleys Builders Providers.

I used it very recently in my stove and its good coal to burn.:)

I usually burn briquettes and sycamore logs,but decided to give the coal a try.

Good stuff to burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No more sniping on thread please.

Let this be the end of it!

Aldi sell the smaller bags of coal,as its "handy" to lift it and take it out to the car,or carry it home.

But "handy" doesnt always mean "good".

You are paying more by buying a 10 or 20 kilo bag,if you compare buying say 2-3 bags against 1 x 40kg bag in a fuel depot or builders providers.

So when you work it out,its not handy as in a "money/value" sense,its only handy in a "weight/lifting" sense.

And if you are worried about lifting a 40kg bag and getting it home (no car/transport) then do what 1 of my neighbours does each Friday.....

Take a 2 or 4 wheel shopping cart/trolley and take the canvas shopping bag off it.

Walk up the road to the builders providers.

Buy a 40kg bag of Polish coal and put it onto the trolley base.

Wrap a bungee cord/hook around it and the trolley,and then walk back down the road home with the trolley and coal.

Fresh air,bit of excercise and you get a 40kg bag of coal too.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

best kindling i ever bought was 2 by 1 lats in my local builders providers, 16 foot length for 1.80, i bought ten and cut them up, i had enough for last winter and this.

An old/broken pallet is the job for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

moved into a house a while ago, got new beds etc, brought old beds outside, striped the clothes of it with a stanley, springs etc and chopped it up and threw it into the shed. one of these next nice days will have to buy an axe and chop them up so the will be able to go into the fire.

recycling :D

Advertisement