Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing beggers

Options
  • 05-11-2012 10:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Ok so i take it most of you guys drink
    if thats the case then at least half of you's like to do a bet every now and again

anyway
    basicly was out for a few drinks on saturday
    decided to do a bet

had to go to an atm , when i got their, their was some guy probably in his 40s (standing) at it, so naturaly i turned my back to him while writing in my pin code, as soon as the money is taken out
    hes ask me " sorry mate, have you got any change " my thinking was how the f**k do i have change when i clearly just took out notes from an ATM
    i didnt answer and walked off, funny enough i found out later on he has his own house and a job but on his day off he stands around shops and all asking for change ( belongs in the stingy thread )

so i went to the bookies for a football bet, done me bet and a horse race (done a big lump of a bet on a fancied horse) long story short it lost was a f**king donkey:pac:
    anyhow their was another one of these standing beggers(must be a new breed) who was standing beside me watching the race, heres me shouting at the screen for the horse to pick up, not like the thing actually listened , and when it lost i threw my docket down in anger
    and the standing begger beside me asked very politely " do you have any spare change "
    i picked up my docket and said here you go mate
    and walked off back to the pub

football match kicked off
    man united won their match, went back to the bookies to collect the little few quid i would of had left
    and the same standing begger is their ( to be fair he was better bleedin dressed then i was )
    i collected it, only got a few quid back
    and the standing well dressed polite begger came up to me and said wow you lost alot on that horse race , i said i know , he says do you have any spare change.

would it of been fair to have punched him? would it be legally fair ? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Legally fair?

I read your whole post in a D4 accent and now want to punch you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

No it wouldn't mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Legally fair?

That is not the accent I read it in...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The standing ones are the worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Legally fair?

im not from d4 :pac: i probably look more of a scumbag then you do so take that as a compliment kid and feck off :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Glad the horse lost. Good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Nice threads.

Any change bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ADonoghue

You should have asked him for any tips , he could have been the mystery millionaire

wyndham wrote: »
    Glad the horse lost. Good story.

so am i :D cause if it had of won they al would of been around me like flys on ****

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Isn't it still illegal to beg ?

Citizens arrest FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

where did you get the info on the first guy (the job and house bit) ?

FatherLen wrote: »
    where did you get the info on the first guy (the job and house bit) ?

he lives local in my area , this wasnt even in town this was in me own area in d12 haha
    everyone apparently knows him
    his wife works in the centra :pac: i couldnt believe it
    think he spends any money he gets on drink though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I prefer the ones who come at you with an elaborate story...
    One day, walking to work, this guy stops me to say his wallet was stolen etc. etc. I'm in a rush but offer to call the police for him. He says that he's fine but has no way to get home, I point him to a taxi depot who will take him home and get the money when he arrives.
    Anyway, off I go.
    Next day in town the same guy comes over again saying his wallet was stolen and could I lend him £2 for bread and milk. What??
    A week later, same again.
    By this stage the guy is famous and has a facebook page dedicated to him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Citizens arrest FTW

It isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

saiint wrote: »
    Ok so i take it most of you guys drink
    if thats the case then at least half of you's like to do a bet every now and again

At least half like to to do a bet!!!
    If you're that bad at calculating odds and statistics maybe gambling isn't really your thing.

stmol32 wrote: »
    At least half like to to do a bet!!!
    If you're that bad at calculating odds and statistics maybe gambling isn't really your thing.

at least i was right about the drinking part :pac:

can you show me a statistics sheet please?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

drinking then placing bets....

and a bit of fighting shur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

fair play to you OP for not hitting him or telling him where to go. i normally issue a polite no to beggars , i don't like the ones hanging around the atms of the luas stops. there are so so many fraudsters. there's a guy i see begging every day at the ha'penny bridge, he has a bag, with northern issue accent and he seems to get a lot of change and he gets coffee the odd time from people passing by him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MagicSean wrote: »
    It isn't

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0202/begging.html
    The new offence carries severe penalties of up to five years imprisonment or a fine of €200,000, or both.
    five years or longer so in citizens arrest territory

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1031/1224306807572.html
    More than 500 arrested in Dublin under begging law

MORE THAN 500 beggars have been arrested in Dublin city centre since the new “aggressive begging” legislation was introduced last February.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

MagicSean wrote: »

It isn't
    And never should have been. It is in our constitution. Should have put that in the referendum. Made a mess of Dublin by changing the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

fair play to you OP for not hitting him or telling him where to go. i normally issue a polite no to beggars , i don't like the ones hanging around the atms of the luas stops.

Hate those bastards too. There was one at Connolly Luas stop yesterday evening in the pissing rain asking me if I was from Dublin (I thought he was looking for directions, silly me) and did I have any change and complaining that he was soaked through. (So was I; I wasn't planning to be out in it all day though) Twit- why didn't he stay in out of the rain? He got nothing from me, I think he swore at me when I insisted I had nothing for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Citizens arrest FTW

No, I believe it is legal to beg. I can remember a time (the 1950s and 60s) when the court reports in the Carlow Nationalist and Leinster Leader (the local rags we read at home) always mentioned this or that "Itinerant" woman being fined five shillings or so for begging.

In the meantime, however, that law was found to be in contravention of the (Council of Europe) Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, because begging is protected as an aspect of the right of freedom of expression.

What is, however, illegal is aggressive begging, such as blocking a person's way, clutching at sleeves or clothing or similar harassment.

Standing too close to someone who is taking money from an ATM machine comes under the latter category. I have on two occasions asked beggars to move further away from ATMs in Helsinki and when they didn't, I called 112 and the police arrived within minutes.;)

I just wish people would get it into their heads that they should NEVER give anything to beggars. Giving them money is as stupid as putting out food for the rats in your garden, something for which your neighbour would hardly thank you.:eek:

By all means give money to the St. Vincent de Paul Society or some similar charity, but either ignore beggars or tell them to fcuk off. And if they continue to hassle you, call the Gardai at once.

We are all entitled to some kind of quality of life and if no one gave to beggars, there would be none of them left in a week's time.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    What is, however, illegal is aggressive begging, such as blocking a person's way, clutching at sleeves or clothing or similar harassment.

I'm off to get some chuggers arrested :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Az0th

**** they're evolving.

Once they learn to use simple tools were fcucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Did I misread it, or are we meant to sympathize with a person who throws his money away on gambling and then wishes to visit unprovoked violence upon some of the more unfortunate members of our society with impunity? Another shame here is I can not directly state I wish to visit violence upon the OP, as it would get me banned. But, apparently, it's perfectly fine to advocate violence upon the poor, and for a moderator to advocate the persecution of them as well. I know it's AH, but it's still sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

All beggars are a scam, it costs like 60 cent for a loaf of bread but do they stop when they get that much? No, also I've never seen one in a disparate need of a good meal.

all worthless scamming scum if you ask me!

Reindeer wrote: »
    Did I misread it, or are we meant to sympathize with a person who throws his money away on gambling and then wishes to visit unprovoked violence upon some of the more unfortunate members of our society with impunity? Another shame here is I can not directly state I wish to visit violence upon the OP, as it would get me banned. But, apparently, it's perfectly fine to advocate violence upon the poor, and for a moderator to advocate the persecution of them as well. I know it's AH, but it's still sad.

you clearly cant read :pac:
    the "begger" was well dressed so thats first point of him actually having money
    for him to be in a bookies alone would be probably the worst place to beg since people are forever losing in their
    he was provoking me , i asked boards could i hit him for this as in a joke

learn to read mate you dont belong in after hours if you havnt even got a slight sense of humor
    typical yanks taking things so serious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

I was out on the town night and a lad I worked with came over to the smoking area . Asking everyone for 2 euro for the bus . He didnt recognise me and I had to near explain to him who I was . He was out of it . He then realised who I was and asked me for money again . Gave him a euro or two yhen he fecked off . I never mentioned it in work and he didnt remember I think .
    He lost the job a short while later . They are only standing beggars for a while . Then it all goes . I see him in town sometimes swapping tablets and foy at abbey street .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I was nearly late for work once and this woman asked me for spare change. I hurriedly told her I couldn't stop, and she goes, "Ah, come on!"

A minute later she bellows, "BUY ME A SANDWICH!"

She could've said please.

Advertisement