Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Windows Store (Metro) Apps

Options
  • 05-11-2012 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭

Post your favourite apps, their price (if not free) and a brief description of what they do.

Google - not just google search, it also contains gmail, google+, youtube, maps etc.

Filmon.tv - Watch BBC, ITV, CH4 etc. for free!

TuneIn Radio - Huge list of both local and global radio stations.

Fliptoast - Sign in to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin, and see all your updates in the one place.

Fresh Paint - A great painting app that's simple and easy to use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Using google as an app will also add it as a usable Search charm filter

Fresh Paint is especially fun for kids if you use it with a real paint brush. Not sure if it requires special material: all I know is I sell a brush which is "designed" for touch screens and it actually works pretty well in paint apps and as a stylus in it's own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A note on Tune In - seems to struggle big time with RTE stations... Nice app otherwise...

If you are a netflix subscriber then their app is nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So far my most used app is the xbox music one, free music is eh..... free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

calex71 wrote: »
    So far my most used app is the xbox music one, free music is eh..... free :)

Can't find it?

edit: it's just called music.

LOLCat Bible.

GENESIS;

1 1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.

2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz.

3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz. 4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin. 5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ShaneU wrote: »

Filmon.tv - Watch BBC, ITV, CH4 etc. for free!

couldn't find this one this morning - no results from searching the store - any links (or can you link to an app?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

ablelocks wrote: »
    couldn't find this one this morning - no results from searching the store - any links (or can you link to an app?)

same as, no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

same as, no joy

I got this from the windows store web site when I followed the link on the filmon site for the metro app

"К сожалению, это приложение больше не доступно" translated as it's no longer available. You can still use the desktop client I think.

Thats another annoying thing about the metro apps web site if you you follow links from sites to it it's a bit of a lottery as to what language it will be in, I've had everything from swedish, german and russian

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

calex71 wrote: »
    "К сожалению, это приложение больше не доступно" translated as it's no longer available. You can still use the desktop client I think.
    Doesn't surprise me ... I'd say the legality of what filmon.tv are doing is questionable at least from a rights perspective. Whereas MS can't take down their website they wouldn't want themselves to be associated with anything potentially dodgy through their app store.

App store is designed to be, as a brand, a place to get trustworthy, legal and nonmalicious software much like any other app store. So that one sounds like a no go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mine still works :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

dulpit wrote: »
    A note on Tune In - seems to struggle big time with RTE stations... Nice app otherwise...

If you are a netflix subscriber then their app is nice...
    By chance are you running a nvidia card with netflix?

I can't view any videos on netflix - wants WHQL drivers it seems and I'm on the latest beta update from nvidia.

Edit.

No flipboard app yet is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

kaimera wrote: »
    By chance are you running a nvidia card with netflix?

I can't view any videos on netflix - wants WHQL drivers it seems and I'm on the latest beta update from nvidia.

No, integrated Intel graphics here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

there's a youtube-mp3/video app available now.

handy out

PcWakeUp! - a Wake on Lan manager. Preload your PCs and IP adresses, a nice click and fire interface for blasting off wake packets.

Advertisement