Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whose vs Who's

Options
  • 05-11-2012 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I know that the rules of grammar state that (with regards to ownership) 'whose' is the correct one to use and 'who's' is incorrect - but I always find myself writing 'who's!'

Really, 'who's' should be the grammatically correct one, in my humble opinion, and 'whose' is merely a bastardised version!

Are there any grammar rules you disagree with, or find yourself at war with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

They have completely different functions, neither is incorrect in the proper context.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

Whore's and Ho's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

reginald wrote: »
    Whore's and Ho's
    What he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Who gives a flying f*ck ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

MaxSteele wrote: »

Me.

• Advertisement

Maybe this will help

whose – the possessive form of whom.

“The director, whose shares were recently acquired by the company, resigned last week.”

who’s – a contraction of who is. When you see the apostrophe, think “who is”.

“The plaintiff, who’s suing the defendant, is represented by a very competent counsel.”

Blay wrote: »
    They have completely different functions, neither is incorrect in the proper context.

Can you give an example of when "who's" can be used to question ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

whirlpool wrote: »

"Who's ("who is") the owner of this pen?"

As stated above, "who's" is a contraction of "who is" and on occasion, "who has."

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Maybe this will help

whose – the possessive form of whom.

“The director, whose shares were recently acquired by the company, resigned last week.”

who’s – a contraction of who is. When you see the apostrophe, think “who is”.

“The plaintiff, who’s suing the defendant, is represented by a very competent counsel.”

That's true, but I'm referring solely to the possessive form. As your post states, "whose" is correct, but I always find myself writing "who's."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If you read my post carefuly...real carefully you'll see I said 'proper context'..look again if you didn't spot that. Anybody who uses "who's" as a possessive is a fcking idiot.

'Who's with me on that one?'

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Whose your favourite of all the "Doctor Whose".

Makes sense when you think about it really.

If you read my post carefuly...real carefully you'll see I said 'proper context'..look again if you didn't spot that. Anybody who uses "who's" as a possessive is a fcking idiot.

Lol, me . Whose with me ? :P

If you read my post carefuly...real carefully you'll see I said 'proper context'..look again if you didn't spot that. Anyobody who uses "who's" as a possessive is a fcking idiot.

I am fully aware that "who's" is a term that exists. If you look super carefully - super SUPER carefully - at my post, you'll see that I never stated otherwise.

I was referring to one context only - possessive / ownership.

You seem to think I was asking if "who's" is a word that exists at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

That's true, but I'm referring solely to the possessive form. As your post states, "whose" is correct, but I always find myself writing "who's."

Yes. Whose is only used in that possessive form. All other times you're really just abbreviating who is as who's.

Okay lads, thanks for your replies. But I am fully aware of what the rule is. But congrats on responding telling us all what the rule is.

My question was - are there any grammar rules that you know are right, but just feel wrong to you personally, and as a result you keep using them wrongly.

Okay lads, thanks for your replies. But I am fully aware of what the rule is. But congrats on responding telling us all what the rule is.

My question was - are there any grammar rules that you really just personally feel for whatever reason are wrong, and as a result you keep using them wrongly.

I can't imagine would feel like that - English grammar is a very intricate, elegant system with a sound logic underpinning it.
    Sure, there are quite a few irregularities, but even most of them make sense within the overall system.

There are a few areas of grammar wherein I think it's not very important to be exactly correct, but there's nothing about grammar I'd disagree with. It's stayed the way it has for hundreds of years for a reason: it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

My question was - are there any grammar rules that you know are right, but just feel wrong to you personally, and as a result you keep using them wrongly.

Well you also stated that you disagree with the rules and think that who's should be used for whose. This implies that you don't get that the apostrophe is the abbreviated i of is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

I always check, if a woman is taken before introducing myself I ask the room "Whose who" and I suggest u similarly get some class, folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This is like that other thread where some fecker disliked 'Your / You're' :mad:

Your 'humble opinion' is wrong.

Stop using contractions for a month and your english will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

's for possession doesn't really seem to be done with the most used pronouns in writing though, ex: his and its (also yours, hers, theirs which comes from adding 's). I don't think this is so much the grammar itself as much as it is asking for the writing system to change how it marks a certain feature of grammar. The most used possessive pronouns don't seem to take apostrophes in writing.

In principle "whose" is "who +'s " probably (with 's being the possessive clitic), just as "its" is "it + 's " and "yours" is "your + 's ". Maybe we could start giving them apostrophes. It'd make 'his' feel like a freak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

No, why do you feel whose and who's is wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Whose your favourite of all the "Doctor Whose".

Makes sense when you think about it really.
    Not to me I'm afraid. I'd be inclined to write "Who's your favourite of all the "Doctor Whos?" or even "Who's your favourite of all the "Doctors Who?", both with the question mark at the end signifying a real question rather than the stupid antipodean interrogative with the rising inflection at the end of a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

mathepac wrote: »
    Not to me I'm afraid. I'd be inclined to write "Who's your favourite of all the "Doctor Whos?" or even "Who's your favourite of all the "Doctors Who?", both with the question mark at the end signifying a real question rather than the stupid antipodean interrogative with the rising inflection at the end of a sentence.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I will never say "aren't I".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

MaxSteele wrote: »

Pedants and punctilious ****, generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Or people used to reading "bukes" that get slightly confused when they see improper English*

*probably 5 mistakes in that sentence alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

"There is Doctor Who's Tardis"

I will never say "aren't I".

It always sounds wrong to my ear actually, and I never say it too, though I know it is grammatically correct.

If it came up in class I'd teach it as the correct form, but in everyday speech I've no problem with an "am I not?" or even an "amn't I?" Particularly because I'm sure the main reason behind "aren't I" being strictly correct is because "amn't I" sounded a bit common to some.

• Advertisement
Advertisement