Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Vanity Cards

Options
  • 04-11-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭

Yeah I didn't know what they were either.
    As it turns out, it's 'a production logo, vanity card, vanity plate, or vanity logo used by movie studios and television production companies to brand what they produce'. The MGM lion, MTM kitten, and 'Sit, Ubu, Sit!' are vanity cards. Sometimes they contain a lot more though.
    They always show one at the end of 'the Big Bang Theory' (yes, I've watched the Big Bang Theory, bite me), and it's never on longer than a couple of seconds so I could just make out half of the first sentence, so, being curious, I looked them up and they brought me here http://www.chucklorre.com/

I kinda like them, here's a taste:

It appears as if roughly half the people in this country think that they're in mortal danger from their own government. That's a lot of people sensing a lot of malice and threat. I worry that I don't see it. Sure, I see inefficiency and incompetence, but I've always seen that - regardless of which party's in office. And frankly, I've always welcomed it. I don't like my big bureaucracies to be cold, calculating, profit-making enterprises driven by a steely, clear-headed singular vision. A cursory glance through history would indicate that well-organized governments tend to enjoy well-organized parades, followed by well-organized ethnic cleansing. Which is why I celebrate the magnificent, muddle-headed ineptitude of our democracy. As far as I'm concerned, a little confusion and waste may keep the trains from running on time, but it also keeps people like me from getting a one-way ticket in a cattle car. Are our tax dollars being misspent on poorly run social programs? You bet! Do we get more buck for our bang at the local Post Office, Amtrak station, nuclear submarine or methadone clinic? Of course we do! But keep in mind that bureaucrats who can't find their ass with a flashlight and a hand mirror are not likely to find you either. To paraphrase Bobby McGee: "Freedom's just another word for who the hell's in charge here?!"

Can't disagree with that, much. But some people complain about show writer Chuck Lorre using the space to post his personal beliefs, musings and other stuff. Personally, I think you don't have to read them, and reading them would require you either to freeze frame or to look it up online, so in-your-face it's not. What ya think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Bazinga!

Had no idea those were even there but if you have to pause the t.v. or look them up online then why shouldn't he be allowed do it.

It's not like he's the first writer to use a show to put his opinion across and he will not be the last. He is just being more subtle about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I usually pause it and give it a read after The Big Bang Theory, which by the way is a great fukn TV show!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Another one then:
    'What does it say about us when we are simultaneously pro-life and pro AK-47's? What does it say about us when God's will would allow a rapist to ask for shared custody and child support payments? What does it say about us when a black guy's in charge and we say things like "it's time to take America back"? What does it say about us when we think the institution of marriage is threatened by gay people who love each other, but not by idiotic game shows like "The Bachelor"? What does it say about us when we export democracy with Hellfire missiles, then restrict the right to vote here? What does it say about us when we build nuclear submarines to defend against exploding vests? What does it say about us when we think a guy who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, keeps his money offshore, stubs his toe and says "H-E-double hockey sticks" and wears magical underwear can feel our pain? What does it say about us when we demand less government and more FEMA? What does it say about us when we completely forgot the colossal shitstorm we were in four years ago?
    The answer, my friends, is not blowing in the wind.
    The answer is, "We are fucking crazy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Is this like a listening to Stairway To Heaven backwards kinda deal?

If it is it's all bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The most famous one is the one about Charlie sheen at the end of an episode of two and a half men. Chuck Lorre actually brought out a book recently with all of these vanity cards in it called what doesn't kill us makes us bitter, all proceeds gk to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

still had to google it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Johro wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't know what they were either.
    As it turns out, it's 'a production logo, vanity card, vanity plate, or vanity logo used by movie studios and television production companies to brand what they produce'. The MGM lion, MTM kitten, and 'Sit, Ubu, Sit!' are vanity cards. Sometimes they contain a lot more though.
    They always show one at the end of 'the Big Bang Theory' (yes, I've watched the Big Bang Theory, bite me), and it's never on longer than a couple of seconds so I could just make out half of the first sentence, so, being curious, I looked them up and they brought me here http://www.chucklorre.com/

I always thought it was "Sit Boo Boo, sit".

Learn something new everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I always thought it was "Sit Boo Boo, sit".

Learn something new everyday!
    So did I, but it turns out it's 'producer Gary David Goldberg's much-derided tribute to his dog Ubu'.
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/6746832/ns/today-entertainment/t/youre-so-vain-tv-vanity-cards/#.UJmP3Wf6mSo

There's some more useless info for ya, don't say I never get you anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Advertisement

Wait, it isn't saying "Sit, boo boo, sit?"

I've been saying it wrong for a very, very long time.

Advertisement