Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember "Amway" ?

Options
  • 04-11-2012 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

Just that, - Amway were/are a multilevel marketing company who sold cleaning products, cosmetics, by word of mouth marketing ie friend to friend. They never became as popular here as in Britain or the US, after one of our ignorant politicians said "that they might be" a pyramid selling scheme back in the seventies.
    I remember there being big meetings in the red cow and in the spa in lucan where distributors would meet up to hear motivational speakers.

I was a distributor for about 5 minutes some time in the nineties, and I'm wondering if they're still going. Google reveals not much current info on them in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I remember we had a bottle of the cleaner at home in the 90s, it was lethal stuff, I think there idea of cleaning was to burn the top layer off with acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

johnr1 wrote: »
    Just that, - Amway were/are a multilevel marketing company who sold cleaning products, cosmetics, by word of mouth marketing ie friend to friend. They never became as popular here as in Britain or the US, after one of our ignorant politicians said "that they might be" a pyramid selling scheme back in the seventies.
    I remember there being big meetings in the red cow and in the spa in lucan where distributors would meet up to hear motivational speakers.

I was a distributor for about 5 minutes some time in the nineties, and I'm wondering if they're still going. Google reveals not much current info on them in Ireland.

They 100% were a pyramid scheme; there is zero question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

one of our ignorant politicians said "that they might be" a pyramid selling scheme back in the seventies.
    I remember there being big meetings in the red cow and in the spa in lucan .

Do you work for them

Course they are fcuking pyramid sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I was brought to one of their meetings once, i was asked to leave after asking the wrong type of questions..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Do you work for them

Yes, of course they are pyramid selling, thats why they were issued with an apology from the minister and a ststement read into the dail record that they were not.
    Educate yourself. :rolleyes:

But of course I work for them, - that's why I'm on the internet asking if they still exist.

Some sad sad people here to be sure.

• Advertisement

I had a foreign painter out who tried to sell some Amway stuff and then kept calling for months afterwards trying to sell stuff or get us to go to a 'amway party' where he would have crap to flog.

I felt kind of sorry for him because he wasn't an educated fellow and had clearly been suckered into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes, of course they are pyramid selling, thats why they were issued with an apology from the minister and a ststement read into the dail record that they were not.
    Educate yourself. :rolleyes:

But of course I work for them, - that's why I'm on the internet asking if they still exist.

Some sad sad people here to be sure.

Lolz.

Have a read of this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No sir. Our model is the trapezoid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Lolz.

Have a read of this.

Fair play, - as I said, anything I knew about them was from the nineties or earlier and Irish based.

Have they been shut down then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

No sir. Our model is the trapezoid!

"Oh no, the cops!"

I find it quite funny that the biggest rebukes of the scheme on the thread have been from Father Damo and Fr Dougal, seeing as the whole affair sounds like money resting in account job :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I went to one of their motivational seminars in The National Concert Hall sometime around 1993 I'd say. I got motivated. I'm now loaded.

Not!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I know plenty of people who did very well with Multi Level Marketing businesses. Don't throw them all in with the "Pyramid Scheme" lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

If pyramid scheme and banned = good :)
    If not pyramid scheme - more bullsh.it junk mail. Banned = good. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zascar wrote: »
    I know plenty of people who did very well with Multi Level Marketing businesses. Don't throw them all in with the "Pyramid Scheme" lot..
    This is like the 'American Dream' you usually only become rich at the expense of others.

If you want to become rich cut out the middlemen.

Thankfully today you can buy crap off teh interweb at a price that can undercut most scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Zascar wrote: »

Of course there will be those who do well from pyramid schemes, that's the whole point. If you get in early in enough or high up enough on the pyramid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Amway are big sponsers of the GOP and conservative causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

They were mostly superseded by Herbalife, I read somewhere that 90% of "make money at home ads " are for the above-mentioned slimming concoction.

But nowadays the big scam money is in "grow rich instantly from the internet/social media"

The saltydroid has a great website exposing these scams and scammers.
    Interestingly, although Nigeria gets a lot of flak, the big scam nerve centre is the great state of Utah ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Do you work for them

I wonder if this pyramid scheme stung any members of the clergy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I was living in Jersey at the time, one of my mates and his partner were involved in it. I remember them trying to get us involved in it, some from Amway came to see our flat. The whole thing did nohing for me, my mate was then told to avoid people like me and my partner at that time who hold them back in life!! Thankfully my mate copped on after a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

baalthor wrote: »
    They were mostly superseded by Herbalife, I read somewhere that 90% of "make money at home ads " are for the above-mentioned slimming concoction.

But nowadays the big scam money is in "grow rich instantly from the internet/social media"

The saltydroid has a great website exposing these scams and scammers.
    Interestingly, although Nigeria gets a lot of flak, the big scam nerve centre is the great state of Utah ...

Home to the mormans......i'snt that romney lad a.........big scam.......hmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I got right into it in 94. Learnt a lot from it actually by giving presentations and using the motivational books and tapes..which is where they make a lot of their money.
    Early 95 got a chance to go to Oz which I took and that was the end of me and Amway.
    Last xmas while on hols in South Africa a friend approached me with "An exciting business opportunity" which was amway so they are still selling the dream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Odysseus wrote: »
    I was living in Jersey at the time, one of my mates and his partner were involved in it. I remember them trying to get us involved in it, some from Amway came to see our flat. The whole thing did nohing for me, my mates was then told to avoid people like me and my partner at that time who hold them in life!! Thankfully my mate copped on after a few months.
    I knew a couple of people who got sucked in. One in particular. They really bought into it and still buy into the secondary motivational books etc, which is as Auldloon said is where they make a lot of their money. Certainly it's where the mid level guys, the "diamond" and "ruby"(oh yep gemstones for rank) guys make their case.

This person was going to the seminars, buying the books and tapes etc. The same books and tapes that were standard "self help in the US of A, profit is king, how to win friends and influence" type stuff which when through the amway system were carrying premium prices for texts that were often out of copyright. The soaps and household stuff seemed to be the carrot to push the other stuff. Certainly I never saw any of these people at the low end make any money on that stuff(and they didn't get to run seminars or pimp the books after them so...)

The whole thing seemed a bit polyester suit and polyester hair conservative yank vibe to it. From what I saw yea you could make money, if but only if you were one of the early adopters in a country/area/market. The little guys who handed their money upwards had little to no hope. Very cultish with a small c in my humble.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

A rare example of a politician making a worthwhile comment there.
    Horrible company, glad they never took off here.

Advertisement