Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lavatube or Telescope mech ? - on the fence

Options
  • 03-11-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

That is the question ... the price is pretty much the same at this point between the lavatube mini v2 (newest) and stainless steel smok telescope.

My requirements

1. Small - if possible smaller than my rev3, which means a single 18350's
    2. Light - if possible slighter than my rev3
    3. Reliable

Pro's of the Lavatube is obviously the VV function and with the range of different juices i'm vaping might be the winner.

I'm just on the fence with a VV or Mech mod device at this point being my best choice.

The Rev3 VV has been pretty decent to me except when I'm re-coiling my Genesis - bloody thing detects the slightest short (and i mean slight) and it self-protects and the batteries need to be taken out to reset however finding myself adjusting voltages less and less unless the batt is almost dead. however I know it does run hot @ around 4.2 - 4.4 at the 4v setting using pulse width.

So what's anyones views on either device .. and also anyone got any pics of a lavatube beside an ego or similar that I can visualize the sizes beside a reference ecig.

Muchos thanks guys

*other alternative is to get the lava tube for home/local use and built/buy a small torch mod or similar for out and about with a phoenix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

was.deevey wrote: »
    That is the question ... the price is pretty much the same at this point between the lavatube mini v2 (newest) and stainless steel smok telescope.

My requirements

1. Small - if possible smaller than my rev3, which means a single 18350's
    2. Light - if possible slighter than my rev3
    3. Reliable

Pro's of the Lavatube is obviously the VV function and with the range of different juices i'm vaping might be the winner.

I'm just on the fence with a VV or Mech mod device at this point being my best choice.

The Rev3 VV has been pretty decent to me except when I'm re-coiling my Genesis - bloody thing detects the slightest short (and i mean slight) and it self-protects and the batteries need to be taken out to reset however finding myself adjusting voltages less and less unless the batt is almost dead. however I know it does run hot @ around 4.2 - 4.4 at the 4v setting using pulse width.

So what's anyones views on either device .. and also anyone got any pics of a lavatube beside an ego or similar that I can visualize the sizes beside a reference ecig.

Muchos thanks guys

*other alternative is to get the lava tube for home/local use and built/buy a small torch mod or similar for out and about with a phoenix.

Not sure you can really compare these two devices, one is regulated, the other not.

I have a telescope mod with a kick, and it's the job. Build quality is excellent and the switch is excellent. Without the kick though, it's an unregulated device, which for me is no good. Start off at around 4.1, and drop down to 3.3ish.... there's no consistency in the vape. With the kick on an 18500 or an 18350 it works a charm. I only use it at home, so the short battery life of an 18350 doesn't bother me.

Just using it with IMR's you'll have the safety issues that go with mech mods, if that concerns you?? Something like the kick will make that go away. Adds more expense, but allows you to set it once, and just through on whatever resistance atty you want and just vape...it's brilliant.

It's not that light either cause it's an 18650 tube mod, so even when it's screwed down to take an 18350, all the metal body is still there to allow it to telescope upto to 18650 if you know what i mean...

For size, here's the telescope with an 18350 beside an 18650 batt.

227070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Cheers for that

Hmmmm ... forgot about the kick, pretty sure I could throw a Low voltage regulator in as a cheaper alternative, its certainly marginally thicker than the rev3

Forgot about the Kick, but doubt that will happen anytime soon, getting one over here (for the time being) is impossible and importing one prohibitively expensive... maybe some chinese knockoffs will start appearing in the near future.

A 4v low voltage regulator might do the trick till then if I can fit one inside - the new stainless model has screws on the head which makes modding the mod a bit easier.

Question for you though ... does the vivi actually sit up that far all the time ? looks a wee bit unstable unless its not screwed down tight? pretty sure if thats the case my DID will be the same :-S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

safercigs have the kick for around 50e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

was.deevey wrote: »

Question for you though ... does the vivi actually sit up that far all the time ? looks a wee bit unstable unless its not screwed down tight? pretty sure if thats the case my DID will be the same :-S

Yeah, it does. I only use it at home or in the car, so it's grand. The center posts on the vivi's do protrude a small bit, so maybe the DID will fit a bit snugger...

Advertisement