Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the walking dead worth it?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've never rellh read any graphic novels or even comics just beano when I was a kid. I really like the walking dead tv show and was interested in trying out the grapic novel so I downloaded the app on my iPad and got the first issue free, pretty much nothing happened and it was very short, I flew threw it in less than 5 minutes, each issue from here on out is €1.79 or I can buy volumes, the first volume contains issues 1-6 and is €7.99, every other volume is €8.99. I just thik this is very expensive, if I buy the 1st volume since I have already read the first 1 will only have 5 to go through and if they are the same length as the first one then it wont take me any more than a half an hour.

Just wondering if it is worth it? Don't want to be ripped off but would really like to get into this series.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

TWD comics are fantastic, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

The compendiums can be had for roughly 30 notes each containing 48 issues. if you wanna read them on your ipad there are certain other sites where they wont cost as much per issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Definitly worth it , I was asking myself the same question two years ago just before the TV show started still following both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

The books are well worth a read.
    The plot themselves are solid if a little bit of a downer at time.
    With some really horrible stuff happening over the course of the books.

I picked up the large version that gathers a years worth of storys myself as I really like the size so I think its worth the cash.
    Not sure how the price compares to other I comics for cash Value. But it's up to your to decide if you want to drop it on it or not.

If you're a member of a Library you can probably get the first few trades there to see how the story sits with you before putting down cash for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Would this be a good option if I were to start reading them?
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Compendium-v-1-Robert-Kirkman/9781607060765

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hey guys,

Just wanted to report back to saw that I started reading it and am now on issue 21 or 22, really enjoying it thus far. Thanks for the recommendations, as someone who has never read a grapic novel, it took me a while to get used to the style. The only complaint I have is I think that some of the dialouge between the characters is a bit cheesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The compendiums are defininitely value for money. But they are so heavy and bulky that I found them quite awkward to hold and read, especially in bed!
    I actually returned mine and I've started to build up the hardback collection. More expensive yes but I'm a huge fan and it looks great in the collection plus I really like the glossy pages.

Also, you get some nice extras with the hardbacks that are not in the compendiums. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've never rellh read any graphic novels or even comics just beano when I was a kid. I really like the walking dead tv show and was interested in trying out the grapic novel so I downloaded the app on my iPad and got the first issue free, pretty much nothing happened and it was very short, I flew threw it in less than 5 minutes, each issue from here on out is €1.79 or I can buy volumes, the first volume contains issues 1-6 and is €7.99, every other volume is €8.99. I just thik this is very expensive, if I buy the 1st volume since I have already read the first 1 will only have 5 to go through and if they are the same length as the first one then it wont take me any more than a half an hour.

Just wondering if it is worth it? Don't want to be ripped off but would really like to get into this series.

TWD is an amazing comic book series, one of the greatest ever. The TV show as a stand alone piece is also great, however it doesn't do the comics justice. I was also a Beano and Dandy fan, sorry to see the latter out of print.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I hadn't read a comic book series since I was a kid, but then picked up the walking dead last year and it completely blew me away. The character development is unreal. You care a great deal for the characters, and I like the fact that this story could literally go on for ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

I got digital copies of the first few years a wile ago, Great if You only have time to read on the bus in the morning and dont want to carry a bulky compendium around with You. I have just watched last nights episode from the states
    Its the part of the story ware Rick goes back home and finds Morgan, as a one off and a break from the main Governor story it's a brilliant piece of drama, And goes right back to the Comic in its presentation
    great stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I only started reading the comics on my tablet recently, up to issue 101 now, you can plough through them no problem, they're depressing as hell in places and some truly grisly stuff happens to some characters that they'd never get away with in the tv show. Its worth reading them to see how they compare, some plots from the comics arent in the show at all and vice versa, and some stuff is but is done differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

At this point in my life it's the only comic I follow monthly after the sad demise of vertigo's hellblazer :(

Used to buy a lot of comics monthly during the early to mid nineties now whittle down to one but I really look forward every month to the walking dead comics like before.

It's great the way they changed it a little for the tv series to keep us guessing and interested.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've heard good things about this comic series but I happen to think the TV series is pretty crap. Would I still enjoy the comics? (It's not the premise I dislike but the cardboard soap opera moments on the show).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ixoy wrote: »
    I've heard good things about this comic series but I happen to think the TV series is pretty crap. Would I still enjoy the comics? (It's not the premise I dislike but the cardboard soap opera moments on the show).

Yeah, the comic moves at a much quicker pace than the TV show, and the character moments are a lot more hard hitting because they include stuff that cannot be shown on TV.

The main downside of the comic is that there is no Darryl.:D

Advertisement