Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch GUI applications when creating a VNC server

Options
  • 03-11-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I have a server that I access through VNC.

The server automatically powers back if there was a power cut but my issue is that some of the applications I want to have running all the time are GUI ones that I want access to via VNC.

So what I want to do is create a startup script that launches a VNC server (I should be able to handle this part)

But then as part of the startup process I want to launch a couple of GUI apps (jdownloader for example)

I have searched a bit online but I cant find mention of what to do.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Which distribution and vnc server are you using?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There is a vnc config file where you can specify a bunch of startup apps (usually this is where the window manager is specified for example). I would look in the .vnc or .vncserver directory in your home folder. I can't quite remember the name of the file and haven't used vnc in an age.

If you can use it, nx (www.nomachine.com) is significantly better than VNC.

Advertisement