Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil to gas switch?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I am unsure where to go with this one so toddled around a bit and landed here :)

My house has oil. Ugly tank and pain in the ass if it runs out. My question is, how do i go about switching to gas? Do i need new boiler etc?

Any idea of cost? Any advice appreciated. I won't be considering this until at least the spring so no hurry.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yes you will require a new boiler, i.e. a gas boiler.
    If you have natural gas outside your home, there is a standard charge from Bord Gais Networks to install the gas supply & meter. This charge is €249 including vat for the first 15m and then approx €40 for every additional meter required. This is take. From your boundary to the meter location.
    If you do not have Nat Gas then you will require LPG and an LPG bulk tank will be required to be financially viable.
    LPG is now cheaper than oil per Kwh but you have an additional saving of having a modulating boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The cost of the installation is impossible to determine. You will have to get a couple of quotes. The cheapest I've ever done was 2500. The dearest was 3200. The cost will very so get a couple of quotes and ask for references.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sparklicious

Thanks very much guys. I did think around e3.5k alright, it was mentioned to me. I will look around after Crimbo and see what happens.

Appreciate the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sparklicious

Have had a couple of quotes for this and generally coming in around the e4.5k mark, new boiler and all heating controls upgrade etc. grant about e930 IF i get all the bells and whistles with timers and temp controls. Bord gais is e269.

Out of my league :(

I will simply get an alarm on the oil tank installed to let us know when we need a refill. This will eliminate inconvenience! Fitted kitchen sounds a lot better than switching heating. The Oil Vs Gas costs are slowly disintegrating at this point anyways.

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

shane0007 wrote: »
    Yes you will require a new boiler, i.e. a gas boiler.
    If you have natural gas outside your home, there is a standard charge from Bord Gais Networks to install the gas supply & meter. This charge is €249 including vat for the first 15m and then approx €40 for every additional meter required. This is take. From your boundary to the meter location.
    If you do not have Nat Gas then you will require LPG and an LPG bulk tank will be required to be financially viable.
    LPG is now cheaper than oil per Kwh but you have an additional saving of having a modulating boiler.

Where did you see lpg cheeper than kero?

Only about a month ago in UK oftec got an injunction against Calor for advertising such clames!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

esox28 wrote: »
    Where did you see lpg cheeper than kero?

Only about a month ago in UK oftec got an injunction against Calor for advertising such clames!

I didn't see it, I calculated it. A pet hate of mine is the SEAI's published fuel comparison kwh costings as they are way off for LPG.
    Sign up rates are €0.65 per litre & average would be €0.75 per litre. It's not difficult to work out the kwh cost from there & compare then. Then add the benefit of a modulating gas boiler compared to an all or nothing oil boiler.

Oil & LPG are roughly the same delivered cost per kwh but then modulation gives LPG the edge.

I am also basing my figures on a single bulk storage tank, not the rip off estate shared bulk tanks where usage is based on a metered rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Plus standing charge!

district bulk lpg customers you'd. Really feel for them.

just a taught from what you said, would it be a viable solution to install a private bulk tank and connect into existing installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

esox28 wrote: »
    Plus standing charge!

district bulk lpg customers you'd. Really feel for them.

just a taught from what you said, would it be a viable solution to install a private bulk tank and connect into existing installation?

There is no standing charge with individual bulk storage. There is a €100 annual tank maintenance charge.

Nat Gas has standing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I've a customer i done a new build for around 3 year's ago. He wanted lpg he uses around €800 per year and he cooks with that.

He would most certainly use more oil than that plus bottles for his cooking.

Advertisement