Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best "retro" Websites - Please share :-)

Options
  • 03-11-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Right guys, haven't posted here in a while, was surfing through the posts mind you, just been fat and lazy :-)

Whats your favourite retro \ gaming website for info, reviews, etc etc?

Mine myself would be http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=4&page=1&sort=releasedate&direction=ASC

Although not a retro site as per say, but this site is a must for information regarding which games has co-op, local 4 player multiplayer etc. I am always on the look out for local 4 player games btw :)

And for the more retro side of things, http://www.racketboy.com/ is cracking.

Please, share yours, I'm sure we can all learn from each other :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only ones I go near these days are -

www.arcadeotaku.com
    www.assemblergames.com
    www.gamesniped.com
    www.jammaplus.com

And then this place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

I'd be lying if I said I never heard of these :D Although, I haven't reached out to the arcade hardware scene YET

Thanks for the share

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

www.hardcoregaming101.net/alpha.htm"

Always something interesting to read on there.

Master of the Universe

djsim101 wrote: »
    Although, I haven't reached out to the arcade hardware scene YET

Do it!

I think it was Ondafly who once said before 'life is too short not to have a cab' or something along those lines. Sage words.

Down side being that once you get one, you won't be going near your consoles nearly as much.

man, I have already taken up 1.5 rooms in my house for my "retro" toys. My wife would literally beat me over the head if I arrived with an arcade machine, although, ever now and again I do say some gentle hints, a work in progress :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Here's the best way of getting a cab into the house.

Pick out the biggest machine you can. Show it to her, be really excited - tell her you bought it it's on the way. It'll be here next week.

She'll freak out and tell you to cancel the order.

Get really down and depressed. Mope around the place. Passive aggressive stroppy child.

After a while, tell her about these really 'small' arcade machines called 'candy cabs' - She'll feel so bad about making you send the monster back that she'll jump all over the opportunity to make you stop moping by allowing a much smaller one.

Job done!

Or -

Do what I did and get yourself a missus who actively wants you to put cabs in the house :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another vote for hardcore gaming 101. It's got some of the best and most articles on the intrawebs.

Check out the retronauts podcast and blog. Retronauts is far and away the best podcast on retro games that isn't our very own arcade and retro podcast :)

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3156908
    http://www.1up.com/1upblogs/3/

Also check out telebunny and scroll.vg:

http://telebunny.net/toastyblog/
    http://scroll.vg/

Lastly racketboy has some great lists that are good reference for collectors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I visit the following gaming sites....
    http://retrogamingtimes.com/

Way of the Rodent is funny but they went off the air for the guts of a year, there are promises to bring it back, regularly updated so I'd check in just in case.
    Their Image of the Month feature is priceless!
    http://www.wayoftherodent.com/

Cheers lads, keep em coming. Some of these sites I have never came across. Isn't sharing among the retro community great :D

@ o1s1n, she eant bad at all. She bought me an Atari Jaguar (came with no games) and an icade (dont have a ipad) for xmas last year. At least she tried :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's the best way of getting a cab into the house.

Pick out the biggest machine you can. Show it to her, be really excited - tell her you bought it it's on the way. It'll be here next week.

She'll freak out and tell you to cancel the order.

Get really down and depressed. Mope around the place. Passive aggressive stroppy child.

After a while, tell her about these really 'small' arcade machines called 'candy cabs' - She'll feel so bad about making you send the monster back that she'll jump all over the opportunity to make you stop moping by allowing a much smaller one.

Job done!

Or -

Do what I did and get yourself a missus who actively wants you to put cabs in the house :D

The same girl who boxes? Somehow I feel, whilst sitting here with my cat on my lap looking at me with a sense of disgust, I might have drawn the short straw! :p

+1 on the cab though, they are the business! Although mine will be going soon to make way for a pinball machine, it wont be long before something nice comes to my door once again. Your consoles will get neglected though, especially if your running mame and have SNES etc emulators on your cab

Plus when you have a really cool cab in your house........ok I wont say it........But I did it again last night :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

The same girl who boxes? Somehow I feel, whilst sitting here with my cat on my lap looking at me with a sense of disgust, I might have drawn the short straw! :p

+1 on the cab though, they are the business! Although mine will be going soon to make way for a pinball machine, it wont be long before something nice comes to my door once again. Your consoles will get neglected though, especially if your running mame and have SNES etc emulators on your cab

Plus when you have a really cool cab in your house........ok I wont say it........But I did it again last night :D

And remember to keep me in mind when you put your cab up coz ill be on it like a shot!!!!!

Will do man, basically I'm waiting on word form someone I know who has a pinball, when I have it organised I'll put up the cab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Will do man, basically I'm waiting on word form someone I know who has a pinball, when I have it organised I'll put up the cab
    No problem mate thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

And remember to keep me in mind when you put your cab up coz ill be on it like a shot!!!!!

Well I just moved apartment and it took 5 people to lift my MK2 cabinet down a flight of stairs. Fun times and I honestly considered selling it... But I was only moving two streets over and enjoyed the bemused look on peoples faced as we wheeled it around the estate. Thats right... it IS that cool.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Well I just moved apartment and it took 5 people to lift my MK2 cabinet down a flight of stairs. Fun times and I honestly considered selling it... But I was only moving two streets over and enjoyed the bemused look on peoples faced as we wheeled it around the estate. Thats right... it IS that cool.

Just teasing me again arnt you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All that effort for MK2, would've been better to just put the skip beneath the window and push the cab down into it!

(I don't really like Mortal Kombat you understand....)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most people with taste don't like it, although MK9 was a surprising exception.

Wouldn't have ever been the deepest fighting games but always fun as a party fighting game. But MK9 was really good I thought.

Master of the Universe

I'm not really into woodies anymore after getting bitten by the candy bug, but the Mortal Kombat 2 arcade cabinet rivals artifacts in Louvre for sheer beauty. It's amazing. From the Midway shape to the artwork.

1_zps00a7b89f.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah the cabs are gorgeous, just put something good inside it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm not really into woodies anymore
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    just put something good inside it

Dafug

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm not a huge MK2 fan by any messure but its a lot of fun to play with a group of mates and a few beers. Most people will have played it and figured out a fatality or two. The cab has hyperspin running on a decent pc with a ArcadeVGA/JPac at the moment.

The Midway cabs are a throwback to the arcades of my youth. I associate Candys with Arcades that came later, Tekken and the leisureplex's of this world. Not the dingy smoke filled places in the city centre!

I'm still searching for a Killer Instinct cabinet to go along side it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah Midway cabs are the classic Archetype of a Cab for me growing up.
    Hulking big monsters with great artwork.
    I'm looking for a MK cab to go with my KI cab..two Midway cabs side by side would look the business.
    tempted by that golden tee cab thats been on adverts/done deal for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

there was a thread about old wooden cabs vs candys on this site a few weeks ago. Some may prefer the modern candy cabs with tri sync monitors, but for me it's definitely the midway/electrocoin type cabs with smoke burns around the buttons. This will do nicely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its definitely a personal thing. Like I know Candy's are the superior cab, I just can't ignore how the old Electro's etc make me feel 16 again...I love them! {can't say the generic term for fear of misquoting}

Master of the Universe

People always associate candy cabs with newer arcades, but there are loads of old ones. My SNK one would be older than a Mortal Kombat cabinet. Actually my own personal taste has shifted towards older, boxier candes. I still love AWSDs, Egrets and Astros, but would much rather an Aero City or a Jaleco Pony now.

I think I said before, but it's like the difference between 80s and 90s Japanese cars.

Egret 2/AWSD with their smooth 90s curves
    nissan_micra_2051894_2_orig.jpg

egret2.jpg

Aero City/Table/SNK candy 25 with their 80s angles
    ImageHandler.ashx?imgType=navPath&imgName=P:%5CMODELS%5CNISSAN%5C0848.jpg

dsc00204smallho3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

great comparison :D

Hard to believe candy cabs are that old. Honestly, I think the first time I saw a candy style cab was at the end of the 90's when Virtual Tennis came out
    cVirtua_Tennis.gif

Master of the Universe

Naomis are the only Japanese cabs like that I've ever seen in Ireland. The closest to here I've seen proper Japanese cabs on site is Jaleco Pony II 28s which were in the Trocadero in London.

Which apparently have the longest on site continual use record in UK. (the guy from Heartofgaming UK bought them when the Troc closed down, after refurbishing them for his own arcade)

Great post here about them with before and after pics. I remember playing Raiden on one of them myself! -

http://neoempire.com/forum/showpost.php?p=455323&postcount=42

And on the subject of the thread itself, here's a brilliant website listing all candy cabs ever made, with pics.

http://slawdog.net/hc/index.asp?page=Cabinet+List

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Forget you're 80' and 90's, my Egret 3 was manufactured in 2003 :)
    It's barely even retro!

Advertisement