Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Heaters

Options
  • 03-11-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was doing a bit of searching for electric heaters over the weekend and came up with the following

2.5KW Oil filled (with timer) - Woodies - €49.99

0012012_700.jpg

2KW Convection Heater - B&Q (Athlone anyways) - €13

0000005319466_001c_v001_zp

Note: wasnt marked as €13, marked as €29.99. They are in an orange box

Also, there was timer plugs (not digital) in B&Q for €2 plus they were 3 for 2.

Hope this helps someone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Hey Guys,

I was doing a bit of searching for electric heaters over the weekend and came up with the following

2.5KW Oil filled (with timer) - Woodies - €49.99

0012012_700.jpg

2KW Convection Heater - B&Q (Athlone anyways) - €13

0000005319466_001c_v001_zp

Note: wasnt marked as €13, marked as €29.99. They are in an orange box

Also, there was timer plugs (not digital) in B&Q for €2 plus they were 3 for 2.

Hope this helps someone!

How do you know the convector was €13, did you buy it? If so, is it any use, looking for one myself. There was one advertised in Aldi a couple of weeks ago for €20 which looked quite good but I didn't see them in any Aldi store I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

bmaxi wrote: »

How do you know the convector was €13, did you buy it? If so, is it any use, looking for one myself. There was one advertised in Aldi a couple of weeks ago for €20 which looked quite good but I didn't see them in any Aldi store I was in.

I bought one yeah. They are a weekend special offer in the UK at 10 pound so I'd Imagine it's only for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Got the convector for €13 in B&Q Cork also - guy at the till didn't know when the offer ends. Also they are doing 3 for 2 on a few electrical things like plugs, timers, bulbs, extension leads etc
    So all in all a great deal to keep the small fellas room at a nice temp over the winter - cost €15 for heater and timer

Its working away nicely at the moment so highly recommended.

Nothing left in Dublin, guy in Liffey Valley said they had three pallet loads but they sold out in an hour, people buying five and six.:mad: Managed to pick up one of the Aldi ones, so all is not lost.

If anyone is looking for one in Cork there were about 10 left on the shelf at 5pm today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Electric heaters and bargain alerts should never appear on bargain alerts...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ted1 wrote: »

Depends, ted1, depends ;)

It's far cheaper to plug in an electric heater now and then in a room with no radiator, compared to having a plumber come in and installing a rad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

unkel wrote: »
    Depends, ted1, depends ;)

It's far cheaper to plug in an electric heater now and then in a room with no radiator, compared to having a plumber come in and installing a rad ;)

Maybe for a few weeks but for longer period you're far better off fit a rad

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

M three wrote: »
    Maybe for a few weeks but for longer period you're far better off fit a rad

For heating the bedroom for 10 minutes while in the shower, it's great.

They don't cost that much to run.

2kw over 10 - 15 minutes is only around 10 cent at current electric prices.

Better than turning on the oil and have it using 2 -4 litres of oil an hour and then having to go around the house and switch off every radiator besides the bedroom as you are going to bed.

For heating one room for 15 minutes, a little electric heater is great and cost effective.

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Always wondered how much it'd cost to run a 1200kw heater, around 23cent per hour of this is anything to go by

http://www.sust-it.net/heating_energy_calculator.php?tariff=24

As ^ ^ ^ says, much better than having to go turning off all the other rads if ya just want bedroom heating

• Advertisement

Thinking the oil filled heater would be best for heating a relatively large bedroom. Will hopefully be able to pick one up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I had to of thos oil filled ones as my only heat source during Christmas 2010 for about a week, I was living I'm a small place, 2 rooms, one sitting and kitchen the other was the bedroom, luckily my electricity was part of my rent, there was one in each room blasting away all the time and they did the job very well, wasnt freezing by any means. We have one in the living room as well at the moment for when we wake up cold, they are very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

How would one of these compare to one of those 2 bar electric fire yokes?

SWMBO always has that little fire plugged in!

ted1 wrote: »
    Using the heater in a room to keep it from dropping below 18 degrees overnight is probably cheaper than having the central heating kick in a few times a night and heat all the rads in the house

Anyway an electric heater for €13 is definitely a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Soarer wrote: »
    How would one of these compare to one of those 2 bar electric fire yokes?

SWMBO always has that little fire plugged in!

I'd imagine it would be quite similar, but with out knowing the electric rating of the fire things its hard to know.

Also for a tenner less Woodies have a 1.5KW oil filled one. Its much smaller. I thought for a tenner difference it would be worth having the option to kick up the heater to 2.5KW

Depending on how much of a neck you have, you could try invoke the B&Q price promise on the woodies one. B&Q dont have the same brand, but do have a similar own brand (blyss apparently is a B&Q brand). If they accepted the price promise you would get it for €36.

I dont know what they were doing in Athlone, no signs up down near the heaters that the one in my post was €13. If I wasnt talking to the guy on the shop floor I wouldnt have known.

Anyone who uses electric space heaters as a preferred form of heating needs their head examined but convectors are excellent for providing instant heat to a small room. Oil filled radiators are better for larger rooms and over longer periods, radiant bar heaters are only useful if you can virtually sit on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Several disadvantages to the the convector type heater:
    Surface temperature of a simple convector is typically significantly higher than the oil-filled variety and poses more of a fire/burn risk.

If it gets covered accidentally it will heat up *very* quickly before the thermostat/thermal fuse cuts out due to its low thermal mass. I have seen things like polyester melt in seconds and fall onto the heating element igniting in the process.

The same dust, fluff, hair etc. that accumulates on your skirtings and under the bed ends up being burned off on the heating element in a convector. They always stink when you turn them on after an idle period.

I wouldn't put one in a kids room. Pay the extra for an oil filled one.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Surely halogen heaters compare favourably with oil/gas at this stage. Infra red heaters are another source of electric heating that compares well.

Advertisement