Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE at Dundrum Shopping Centre

Options
  • 03-11-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭

Why do RTE DJ's escape to Dundrum now and again for their shows? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Wild speculation: it's a place with constant foot traffic ideal for getting into direct contact with their audience -- contrast that with Montrose studios out in the middle of relatively empty Donnybrook suburbs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

And Dundrum paying RTÉ for the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Bucklesman wrote: »
    Wild speculation: it's a place with constant foot traffic ideal for getting into direct contact with their audience -- contrast that with Montrose studios out in the middle of relatively empty Donnybrook suburbs.
    The studio is located well above the "constant foot traffic " and may as well be on the moon for all the interaction there is between shoppers and studio. So I can assure you that is not the reason! I have no idea why it's there, another waste of public money by RTE would be my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Bucklesman wrote: »

Have you ever seen the studio? You could spend all day in the centre and never notice it. Waste of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

The reason is this.

Dundrum is associated with a wealthy upwardly mobile youthful population...the kind of audience RTE 2 and it's advertisers are aimed at.

Only RTE 2 broadcast from Dundrum.

Lack of footfall or notice ability is irrelevant all they want to do is be associated with Dundrum and all it stands or to their LISTENERS.

I'm sure Dundrum SC provide the studio free of charge as it benefits them also.

So...no great waste of money.....win win ...good commercial arrangement...unusual for RTE admittedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I think you'll find Lyric FM broadcast from Dundrum on occasion......bang goes my credibility on this site :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ronan Collins frequently broadcasts from the Dundrum studios.

*gets coat*

Hey garbanzo, buy you a beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

garbanzo wrote: »
    I think you'll find Lyric FM broadcast from Dundrum on occasion......bang goes my credibility on this site :(

Yeah Marty in the Morning broadcasts from there regularly. What the point is I don't know. Didn't they do the same thing in the Square in Tallaght when it first opened?

Sure its great for atmosphere, broadcasting a radio show from a soundproof booth, overlooking a busy shopping centre, that none of us can see ..... :rolleyes:

Oracle wrote: »
    Yeah Marty in the Morning broadcasts from there regularly. What the point is I don't know. Didn't they do the same thing in the Square in Tallaght when it first opened?

Sure its great for atmosphere, broadcasting a radio show from a soundproof booth, overlooking a busy shopping centre, that none of us can see ..... :rolleyes:

Yep, they had the Crows Nest studio in The Square many moons ago. There's also a 98FM studio in the Stephen's Green shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Probably to get free coffee and pastries sent up if they plug the caffs in the centre.

Otherwise it's a free nationwide ad for the Dundrum SC for giving up a tiny bit of space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement