Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****SCAM ALERT*** National Global System Care

Options
  • 03-11-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

This morning we have recieved two phone calls from a company claiming to be "National Global System Care" , The lady with an Indian Accent calls from a withheld number, saying that their computers have detected a problem on our computer and are suspicious that there is a virus on the Computer, bla bla bla etc

I asked for the Company details so the name was repeated, as above
    she said they were based in South Dublin and the phone number is 01 4466787 which of course doesn't exist.

When pushed further about the legitimacy of the company she hung up.

I'm in the east Mayo area at the moment, do these people normally target an area in the phone book or call randomly around the country?

I have come across this Scam in Spain in recent months quiet a bit. They basically scam victims out of money in a number of ways, first they will look for money to fix the non existent problem, then they will get the victim to allow them access to their computers where they will seal personal information ie. Bank details.

Oh the best is that I'm staying with family for a few days and they don't have a computer

BEWARE

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

People like this give good honest cold calling computer fixers a bad name .

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

People like this give good honest cold calling computer fixers a bad name .

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Manny Pacquiao

mayotom wrote: »
    This morning we have recieved two phone calls from a company claiming to be "National Global System Care" , The lady with an Indian Accent calls from a withheld number

That lady with the Indian accent is most likely from India.

Just waste their time, pretend to follow the instructions,
    then play this video over and over again until they hangup, just keep saying the internet is slow where you live ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

This has been on the go for a right while now. Am surprised they're still at the carry on cos so many people were aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I put one of them on hold (turned on the radio and made breakfast) there a while back. Seems to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

girl2 wrote: »
    This has been on the go for a right while now. Am surprised they're still at the carry on cos so many people were aware of it.

Game of odds, they just keep on trying until they get some sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

mayotom wrote: »
    This morning we have recieved two phone calls from a company claiming to be "National Global System Care" , The lady with an Indian Accent calls from a withheld number, saying that their computers have detected a problem on our computer and are suspicious that there is a virus on the Computer, bla bla bla etc

Hypercompuglobalmeganet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

"National Global System Care" WTF?

Christ they could think of a plausible name anyway if they're trying a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They usually claim to be from microsoft, i try to have a bit of fun with them, saying my computer isnt connected to the internet so how can they know its got a virus? When they claim they are from microsoft i tell them i have a mac that one really stumps them.
    The weird thing is alot of them seem to honestly believe they work for MS and when you ask them questions they get very defensive.

Never give them details or download any software they tell you to and try to have some fun with them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Tell them that you know that there is a virus on your computer, but that's ok because you create them as a hobby. Then ask them if they could stay on the line whilst you test a new virus which can be transmitted via phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Got a phone call from these claiming they were Microsoft. I played along eventually telling them I worked for Microsoft (I don't) The guy on the other end of the line started getting really angry and telling me that I don't work for them, he wanted my name and my id number from Microsoft. I told him where to go.

He rang back a couple of hours later and my sister answered the phone, he asked her to get her daughter for him as he was my boyfriend. She p***ed herself laughing and asked to speak to someone who spoke Irish. (My sister isn't very bright, she meant to say english instead of Irish) He eventually hung up on her after she gave him a bo*****ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Are they in any way connected to Hyperglobalcompumeganet?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

VinLieger wrote: »
    They usually claim to be from microsoft, i try to have a bit of fun with them, saying my computer isnt connected to the internet so how can they know its got a virus? When they claim they are from microsoft i tell them i have a mac that one really stumps them.
    The weird thing is alot of them seem to honestly believe they work for MS and when you ask them questions they get very defensive.

What if it is a double bluff and they actually do work for Microsoft?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Tell them you're running Linux, then say you're locking in the line and about to report them to the I.D.I.O.T, the Irish Department of Instigative Online Traffic :D That'll put the sring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Hypercompuglobalmeganet?

No, they get bought out by UltraInnovationTechCorp last year. This crowd are the local branch and subsidiary of National International Multinational Computer Corporation Doubleplus Extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Hypercompuglobalmeganet?

Junior vice-president speaking...

It's Compuglobalhypermeganet, btw :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Just waste their time, pretend to follow the instructions,

I did this, putting the handset into the fridge between instructions for 5 - 10 minutes each time. I sounded very concerned when talking to them. After 50 minutes I told them that if they called me again (I had been getting these calls regularly) I'd waste their time again. Never heard from them since.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Zen65 wrote: »
    I did this, putting the handset into the fridge between instructions for 5 - 10 minutes each time.

Why? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Ah shít, I read the thread title and thought it was about the Labour Party!:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Mr E wrote: »
    No sound. Don't want them to hear you making a cup of tea.

Mr E wrote: »
    Because they're cold callers! :D

No sound. Don't want them to hear you making a cup of tea.

Exactly! I should have explained that in fairness. My handset has no "mute" function. I was talking to somebody else when the call came in, so this was the least disruptive way.

Z

Because they're cold callers! :D

Brilliant. Made my day, this has!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

They repeatedly rang my parents last year, one of them told me that they work for windows support. On some minor questioning they told me that Microsoft and windows are two completely different companies. :pac:

Any time they rang after that I Mam and Dad repeatedly said: "What's a computer?!" and they eventually stopped ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm feeling a little left out, why won't they ring me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm feeling a little left out, why won't they ring me?

i agree
    nothing like winding someone up :pac:

Advertisement