Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help getting started

Options
  • 03-11-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Apologies if this is a recurring theme, but I'd appreciate some advice...

I've lurked in here a few times, but to be honest the variety of vaping options has put me off making the switch from smoking...

It also seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that simply buying a kit and getting started is just a prelude to buying hundreds of quids worth of flavours and extra kit...
    What's the deal? are you guys just natural 'collectors', or is there some kind of chasing an ideal vaping experience that just doesn't exist/match up to smoking?

I am minded towards the ego-t, but even then, there's the choices of batteries, type a and type b tanks, low and high resistance this and that, and I just end up scratching my head, not wanting to make the wrong choices and end up having to buy a load more stuff...

So can anyone offer some advice, based on your own experience.. what I really want is to buy right and buy once...

How long should the starter kits last before I need to replace parts? What are the consumable bits that need regular replacement?

I'd be grateful for any help before I just end up giving up out of choice paralysis.. I'm never going to be a kit junkie who needs to try the latest and greatest.. just want to quit the smokes the easiest way possible..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

So can anyone offer some advice, based on your own experience.. what I really want is to buy right and buy once...

I will never happen, see below:D
    What's the deal? are you guys just natural 'collectors', or is there some kind of chasing an ideal vaping experience that just doesn't exist/match up to smoking?

I guess your right we are chasing that ideal vaping experience, its similar to when I started learning the guitar, I now have 12 but I am in guitar heaven and not spent a penny in 8 years as I have my perfect setup. Same with vaping, I spent a few bob but now I am happy. I just chase juices now;)

I now have a experience that surpasses smoking in every way, it just took spending a few bob and trying different gear until I found it.
    How long should the starter kits last before I need to replace parts? What are the consumable bits that need regular replacement?

All the parts are consumable but some are more regular than others. It depends on the kit you go for but do expect a regular monthly order of a few euro to keep your kit functioning and every 6 months or so replacing a battery if it doesn't hold a charge. Once you decide what you want then we can be specific.

My experience:

I started with a crap cigalike and within days went for something similar to this:
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangtwist.htm

You will get a good smoking experience, its easy to use, great flavor, great vapour and its cheap to run. One head a month, worst case two at €2 each will keep this running well.

I have since spent hundred's of euro's but I now have a great setup and best of all I am not smoking. Trying different juices is a fun part of vaping, I am lucky I have found my daily vape but I still buy small amounts of other juices to try.

I am also just about nicotine free without any real cravings what so ever. If you asked me 4 months ago how much would I pay to be smoke free without cold turkey I would gladly have written a cheque for €5000 so it put the cost into perspective for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Hi there,

Apologies if this is a recurring theme, but I'd appreciate some advice...

I've lurked in here a few times, but to be honest the variety of vaping options has put me off making the switch from smoking...
    I am minded towards the ego-t, but even then, there's the choices of batteries, type a and type b tanks, low and high resistance this and that, and I just end up scratching my head, not wanting to make the wrong choices and end up having to buy a load more stuff...

I'd be grateful for any help before I just end up giving up out of choice paralysis.. I'm never going to be a kit junkie who needs to try the latest and greatest.. just want to quit the smokes the easiest way possible..

This kit here is a popular choice if you don't mind it looking nothing like a cigarette.
    When choosing battery size, bear in mind that the 900mAh size is quite long.
    Two of the 650mAh batteries would easily get a 20 a day smoker through the day.
    Depending on usage and types of juice used, you'll go through one of these replacement heads anywhere from once a week to once a month, and the average vaper goes through about 20ml of juice a week (though some only go through 10ml & some steam trains go past 40ml, 50ml etc etc.), so it's best to try a few out and get a few replacement heads at a time.
    It also seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that simply buying a kit and getting started is just a prelude to buying hundreds of quids worth of flavours and extra kit...
    For some it's the "boys toys, natural collector" thing, but the feeling that your vape could taste better is a much bigger draw for me.
    It's not that it's not as nice as smoking, it's just like choosing between a serviceable pint of Stella, or dropping some cash on nicer beer.
    Whether or not either's worth it is up to the drinker/vaper

When I started I scoffed at people dripping.
    "Can't be worth it!" I said.
    "Waste of time!" I said.

Now it's what I mostly do.

I can confirm that it's worth it AND it's a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Just go out and buy a Provari, going to set you back about €300 but if your serious about vaping the only way to go after owning one of these is a long way down (imho)

I have pissed about with about 7 different kits and spent about 3 times the price of a provari trying to find the right product for me, ok the Kanger/eGo Twist is a vv mod and a good tool but even that left me still looking for something better, and at long last to my wallet I have found one.

You just have to find the right device to deliver the liquid with the provari and your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Hi UsedToWait,

Found myself looking at the options when I started and getting confused also, everyone on here is very helpful with specific questions when you have them and can advise you as you go.

In a way, you are right, a lot of people on here are collectors and tinkerers. I think I read a post here where someone described the enthusiasts here as the 'boy racers' of vaping. For every one person on here trying out the new toys that get released into the vaping market, I'd say there are a handful of others happily vaping away on a starter kit, probably with the first or second juice they tried and liked.

The way I approached it was that I *could* spend the same amount as I was spending on cigs per week on kit and juice for a while, in an effort to find a juice I really liked, a solid device to put it in and a good battery that would last me all day, (currently El Toro Eden, Vivi Nova and 2x 900mAh eGo Twist batteries).

If you want a kit that will help you quit smoking, then the one already linked above by the others is a great one. The batteries allow you to adjust the voltage, which can affect the heat, taste and amount of the vape. The clearomisers that come with it are good solid performers also by all reports, replacement heads are cheap, and you get a selection of sample juices.

All you need to do then is find a juice that suits your personal taste, unfortunately, no-one can tell you what juice you will like, you have to taste them for yourself. Try a few different samples and see how you get on.

After I got my first kit, I tried it sporadically over a weekend and then quit cigs on a Monday, that was over a month ago now and I've spent roughly what I would have on smokes. For my money, I got three full kits for friends, batteries and various clearomisers for myself and a box full of juices. I could literally not spend any more money for six months on vaping and just go through what I have.

After you start vaping, you will want to weigh up and decide a couple of other things, for instance, if you will keep it up and make it better for yourself, or go that extra mile and try to wean yourself off nicotine altogether, then maybe even cut out the vaping. All depends on your goals.

For me, one step at a time, I'm enjoying vaping immensely and can see myself continuing for a while yet. From that standpoint, it's very tempting to get a provari, eBaron dripper pro and related bits and pieces in an effort to maximize my enjoyment of vaping, particularly while sitting at home, but an 'all in' outlay of 400 quid wasn't something I was planning for when I started.

My advice: Calculate what you will spend on smokes for the next month, pick a starter kit and a few juices and try it out for the month. After that, your perspective will change in one way or another and you can make more informed choices for yourself.

Good luck! ;)

kiffy wrote: »
    Just go out and buy a Provari <snip>

Guess who the latest purchaser of a provari around these parts is? The justification is still strong in this one... :P

• Advertisement

Lucutus wrote: »
    Guess who the latest purchaser of a provari around these parts is? The justification is still strong in this one... :P
    Well Mr Lucutus of Borg, I thought I might as well spend a bit more money on gear (well it has been almost 2 weeks) and the most I could spend was on a Provari ;) Bloody hell really glad I did, why the hell didn't I buy one of these months ago and save myself a fortune in gear and juices trying to find the right gear for my vaping. This really is a bit of class gear.

Have to say juices I never liked before now taste lovely (Strawberry Lemonade in particular) even with my Twists and LT they never tasted nice, so by buying it it's going to save me a fortune in buying juice as I can deplete my stockpile. But am disappointed in the cartomisers, they all gave off a burnt taste even at 3.6v but dug out my old Ego Vision V2's and luvly jubilee, Strawberry Lemonade at 4.2 is lovely especially with a can Bulmers light (no I'm not vaping the Bulmers, I'm drinking it :p)

And with the V2 (2.4 ohm) my 18350 battery has lasted just over 9 & 1/2 hours (5 hours with dual coil and low res carto's) and still a bit to go in it. Ordered 4 more V2's from TBS hope I get it before they bugger off to the Bahamas on their hols :)

I cant see buying any more gear (until the provari V3 comes out :))

Kiffy has a point, if vaping is right for you then go for the best if you can afford it.

The provari gives consistency and this is what sets it apart from all devices. I will add I also get a "similar" experience with the linked starter kit, with the twist if it starts tasting odd then a quick tweak of the voltage will bring the flavor and vapour back on track simply by a quick twist on the variable voltage.

Also there are some great kits out there that I love like the ovale elips and the imist that are verry satisfying and if you know no different then work realy well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thanks for the considered replies guys (and for not shooting the n00b down in flames over what I'm sure is a regular question on here).

I'm going to take the advice on the Kanger Twist kit, to see if vaping is for me, and if so, will look at the Provari a little further down the line when funds are better..

Will update the thread when I get going, as I'm sure there's a lot of people in the same boat...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

noob or not we'll answer any and all questions if it helps someone to get away from cigarettes :)

good luck

kiffy wrote: »
    Well Mr Lucutus of Borg, I thought I might as well spend a bit more money on gear (well it has been almost 2 weeks) and the most I could spend was on a Provari ;)

I know, I know, resistance is futile! I will likely be doing the same soon enough, telling myself I deserve the best money can buy and finding ways of hiding the CC bill before the missus sees what I've gone and done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The Kanger twist kit is a good starting point.

Wish that kit was around when I started out to be honest.

And if you get a provari, you won't regret it!

Ok - just wanted to update this thread, after day 1 of vaping...

First off - thanks to all who recommended the Kanger T3 starter kit - very happy with it - I was surprised with the hit I got off it when I started, and I reckon I'll be sticking with the T3 for a while.

I smoked just 3 rollies yesteday along with my vaping - not bad for a 20 a day (at least) man!

The way I'm looking at it at this time is:
    I'm not quitting the smokes, I'm using vaping to cut back on them.
    Then, over time, when I get the hang of the vaping (find the flavours / voltage etc that i like best) I'll probably end up not needing any cigs, and cut them out altogether.
    (I think this suits me psychologically better than saying I'm now a non-smoker and I'm never smoking again.. a bit like an alcoholic taking it one day at a time)

I reckon the weekend was a good time for me to start, and get the hang of the thing, but I'm wondering how I'll get on at work tomorrow.. so far, I've been picking up the vaper and having 2 or 3 tokes, then putting it down for 20 minutes or so...

How do you guys vape whilst at work - do you just go out on a smoke break or are you able to vape at your desk?
    One of my colleagues had a fake cigarette type that he used in the office a few times, but he wasn't billowing out 'smoke' like the T3 does, so I'm not sure if I'll be allowed/feel comfortable vaping at my desk...

Thanks again for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

How do you guys vape whilst at work - do you just go out on a smoke break or are you able to vape at your desk?
    One of my colleagues had a fake cigarette type that he used in the office a few times, but he wasn't billowing out 'smoke' like the T3 does, so I'm not sure if I'll be allowed/feel comfortable vaping at my desk...

I have a break every two hours, but if I'm hanging for a toke I can just slip in to the stock-room for 10 seconds and have a few puffs.

It's like I was never gone.

If you want to toke without billowing vapour, just hold it in longer ("stealth vape"). Very little to no vapour.

I'm lucky at work as I'm isolated from everyone else locked away in a control room (just like Homer J) and I vape away all day (chain vaper) the hierarchy all know I vape and also know the laws and I'm not doing anything that undermines the smoking ban or the companies no smoking policy. In fact they are pleased I am off the fags, as they have been nagging me to quit for nearly 30 years.
    They do supply people with patches and gum to try and get them off fags, so I'm going to try and see if they will start supplying e-liquid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ok - just wanted to update this thread, after day 1 of vaping...

First off - thanks to all who recommended the Kanger T3 starter kit - very happy with it - I was surprised with the hit I got off it when I started, and I reckon I'll be sticking with the T3 for a while.

I smoked just 3 rollies yesteday along with my vaping - not bad for a 20 a day (at least) man!

The way I'm looking at it at this time is:
    I'm not quitting the smokes, I'm using vaping to cut back on them.
    Then, over time, when I get the hang of the vaping (find the flavours / voltage etc that i like best) I'll probably end up not needing any cigs, and cut them out altogether.
    (I think this suits me psychologically better than saying I'm now a non-smoker and I'm never smoking again.. a bit like an alcoholic taking it one day at a time)

I reckon the weekend was a good time for me to start, and get the hang of the thing, but I'm wondering how I'll get on at work tomorrow.. so far, I've been picking up the vaper and having 2 or 3 tokes, then putting it down for 20 minutes or so...

Don't stress about having the odd rollie. Most of us smoked a few or the odd fag every day for a week or two. Think of it like this. Every time you got a nicotine craving for the last god knows how many years, you pictured a cigarette in your minds eye. Its automatic, your brains been doing this 20+ times a day for donkeys years. It takes a week or two for the brain to get out of the habit of picturing a cigarette every time it feels the craving to picturing your vaping gear instead. You aren't really still craving a real cigarette you just think you are because thats the image that flashes into your mind when your brain realises it wants more nicotine. In a week or two you'll be picturing vaping gear.

Combine that with the fact that in a week or two those few fags start tasting of nothing and give Fcuk all throathit compared to your vaping gear. When you get to that point you realise you prefer the experience of vaping much more than smoking and what little temptation there was for having a real one evaporates.

Best of all? Even if you accept the offer of a real cigarette from someone 6 months down the road or run out of e-liquid and end up buying a real packet to smoke until the postman arrives on a Monday morning, you don't feel a failure like you would if you'd gone cold turkey. How many of us have given up cold turkey in the past and felt a failure when we caved after weeks or months and said Fcuk it and went back on the fags for another few years. All you've done is ingested nicotine the old fashioned way that is more harmful, comparatively tasteless, comparitively throathit-less and massively more expensive. Even after say smoking a real pack over an e-liquidless weekend the transition back to vaping is painless and tbh you're in bad form from the withdrawl from your vaping gear not the other way round and pissed off you had to smoke those sh1tty real things.

In short, a reversal happens. Instead of you feeling like vaping is just a poor substitute for smoking the real thing, after a few weeks smoking the real thing becomes a poor substitute for vaping! :D

^ Nicely put Calibos & I reckon you're right - just tried another of my sample flavours (strawberry milkshake) & I'm convinced :)

Just putting together an order of my favourite juices plus another sample pack, plus some spares (battery, clearomizers, another charger etc...)

I did say I don't want to be buying loads of kit, but I want to have spares for all eventualities - I'm now a vaper, not a smoker!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

At the start you tend to order more. Once you have a stockpile built up you'll be fine (as long as you don't discover the wonderful world of mods). This month I just bought my favourite liquids (even though I've tons of others here).

If I had to I could go about 4 months without buying anything else.

If you don't like a juice straight away put it to the side and try it again in about 4-6 weeks. Your taste buds change so much when you give up smoking so you might find you love them then

Just putting together an order of my favourite juices plus another sample pack, plus some spares (battery, clearomizers, another charger etc...)

You might find your taste will change after a few weeks, I loved the sweet juices at the start Swedish Fish, strawberry milkshake/lemonade, Pink tiger etc but now these are a evening vape or a treat so my stockpiles of them may go to waste or I will shift them on.

I now have a very slight sweet/tobacco for a daily juice.

Advertisement