Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Options
  • 03-11-2012 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Since I was about 16 ive had comments about my dodgy hairline. Its always been a bit far back I suppose. But it wasnt until my mid twenties that I noticed it receding more.

I began to hate the words bald and receding with a passion. Also hated going to the barbers where hed comb back my hair and I could see how bad it was getting.

So I grew my fringe longer and spent a ridiculous amount of time hiding bald spots. Fun times eh. I was always paranoid on windy days. Fringe could take off! Same when it rained - when wet you could see how bad it was.

I didnt go on surfing trips with friends or swimming. Ive been in Oz since july and havent been snorkling yet. Id taken to wearing a baseball cap a lot.

It might not be a big deal to some people but to me it has been.

So...this morning I shaved my head. And I look like an alien! Ha but obviously I need to get a bit of sun on the white dome and to get used to it a bit. Im not exactly confident about it yet. But I do feel better about the whole thing. A step towards accepting it!

Not sure what the point of this post is. Just felt like typing this stuff down, share my experience. I know it will be hard to tell/show friends. But taking a bit of slagging is part of life I suppose

Cant fight mother nature so might as well accept it and enjoy life!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Good for you! Trying to hide balding/thinning hair makes it more obvious, guys look good with shaved heads too. Just make sure you use sunscreen everyday (on your ears too), the top of your head is very prone to sun damage and skin cancer.

Enjoy snorkelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,094 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can fully understand your frustration, even as someone who has a full head of hair. So, shaved off. I think in time you will look back and wonder what all the frustration and fuss was about. As soon as your new look becomes part of you then you will be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

I'm not bald but I feel your best option was definatly to shave your head, but hopefully not with a razor blade! Blade 1 is best. Hiding a balding head with longish hair isn't really a good look so good on you for accepting it and cutting it off...

Now get a tan on it and it'll look good! Enjoy the snorkelling and the feckin' sun out there ya lucky b@stard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

LaHaine wrote: »

Yep! It was something that caused me endless worry when I started to notice my hair was thinning and becoming ever more noticeable. People try all sorts of things to cover it up and maintain their self image of someone that has a full head of hair. Once you just shave it off though it's a relief and you just get on with life.

In my case I had male pattern baldness at the front. One of the treatments I briefly considered was getting hair transplants from the back, in addition to being expensive it just seemed like a waste of time to me. Then last year I got a bout of Alopecia which caused a fairly big bald patch to develop at the back so even if I had gone for hair transplants I'd have ended up having to shave it off anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...A step towards accepting it!...

This is the most important point. You have to accept that you will learn to accept it sooner or later. Personally, I spent my early twenties in chuzzes over my hair loss. Nowadays, I couldn't imagine having the hassle of a mop to worry about. You will get to this point too and you will there fastest by trying to avoid the "why-me's".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

losing your hair or thinning out is difficult for everyone but I agree that men generally look better with shaved hair rather than longer thin hair. I actually really like the shaved look on men

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Since I was about 16 ive had comments about my dodgy hairline. Its always been a bit far back I suppose. But it wasnt until my mid twenties that I noticed it receding more.

I began to hate the words bald and receding with a passion. Also hated going to the barbers where hed comb back my hair and I could see how bad it was getting.

So I grew my fringe longer and spent a ridiculous amount of time hiding bald spots. Fun times eh. I was always paranoid on windy days. Fringe could take off! Same when it rained - when wet you could see how bad it was.

I didnt go on surfing trips with friends or swimming. Ive been in Oz since july and havent been snorkling yet. Id taken to wearing a baseball cap a lot.

It might not be a big deal to some people but to me it has been.

So...this morning I shaved my head. And I look like an alien! Ha but obviously I need to get a bit of sun on the white dome and to get used to it a bit. Im not exactly confident about it yet. But I do feel better about the whole thing. A step towards accepting it!

Not sure what the point of this post is. Just felt like typing this stuff down, share my experience. I know it will be hard to tell/show friends. But taking a bit of slagging is part of life I suppose

I was the same, I have blonde hair and was gutted when I noticed a bald patch on top but I took the plunge and rather than trying to cover it up shaved to a number one level about a year ago.

Like yourself I thought I looked terrible at first but I'm used to it now and alot of women don't seem to mind if a guy shaves his head IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

No bad hair days anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm not bald but I feel your best option was definatly to shave your head, but hopefully not with a razor blade! Blade 1 is best.

It depends on how bad the hair loss is. I can't grow any hair on top but get plenty of fuzz around the back and sides, so I always find it's best to put a razor blade to it, for fear of looking like an old man. :pac:

Advertisement