Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I help?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

For a few year now I have been becoming increasingly anxious to somehow contribute in a meaningful way to society. I believe that helping to spread reason and rationality is a pretty good undertaking should I embark on it. So my question is how could I help the cause of secularism, atheism ect. How can I help change the views of society? What group should I join? With whom should I speak? I just want to contribute somehow. Thank you.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

convert to islam and blow some **** up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Become a teacher.

If that sounds too daunting then, I dunno, harass people in the pub who have no idea what they're getting themselves into and make them cry. That's what I do.

(I swear, the last one told me she was getting her child baptised but that she was Buddhist but didn't actually know anything about Buddhism. I felt almost cruel when I asked her about her opinion on the Four Noble Truths - there was no doubt in my mind that she wouldn't have a notion what it meant.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

For a few year now I have been becoming increasingly anxious to somehow contribute in a meaningful way to society. I believe that helping to spread reason and rationality is a pretty good undertaking should I embark on it. So my question is how could I help the cause of secularism, atheism ect. How can I help change the views of society? What group should I join? With whom should I speak? I just want to contribute somehow. Thank you.

See a need, fill a need, dude - depending on your interests, experience and skills, of course. I'd suggest taking a look at any local humanist/secularist/atheist groups and see what they have going, then give them a shout and see how you can get involved. Have a look on google and see what you can find.

Good on you for wanting to make a contribution, btw. Let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

You can join AI if they share your aims. You could set up your own lobby group or harass your TD's about the religious educational stranglehold. Personally, I just try to leave things a little better than I found them and not be a dick to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

How about not interfering in peoples lives and let them come to their own conclusions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

How about not interfering in peoples lives and let them come to their own conclusions?

Yes, he should definitely help fight so someday we can live like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Now, if only the religious did that...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭pulpfictionost

Enter a political election, you will run for the position as an open atheist.
    You're competitor will be an actor, who's only skill is to act as a Christian.

You will be the only person besides the actor that will know he is an actor.
    Try your hardest to beat the actor in the election.

If you can't be a good example then be a terrible warning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So my question is how could I help the cause of secularism, atheism ect.
    Atheism doesn't have a cause, despite what some would have you believe.

This is where you need to go:
    http://www.atheist.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Check out the NSS:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/get-involved.html

They have quite a few ideas for things to do, and I expect they will be along the lines of what you might want to do.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lamesausage

Dades wrote: »
    Atheism doesn't have a cause, despite what some would have you believe.

Yes, I shouldn't have said Atheism as it's just a lack of belief. I suppose I'll try and get involved with Atheist Ireland then.. I want to die knowing that I have done something worthwhile with my life, as opposed to just sitting around or working for some pointless business. I figure there are those who are far better than me at pursuits such as science and the like. Although I am able to understand what they find and utilize it with logic and reason to form opinions. I'm 22 and regret my degree choice. So I am basically looking to matter in some way to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Stand on street corners with a megaphone and try to spread the 'word' of atheism. You'll want a catchphrase like that Liverpudlian "Don't be a sinner, be a winner". Something like, god doesn't exist so go kill people... I'm not very good with this sort of thing, maybe someone else can come up with something that rhymes better :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Go door to door like the JW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I suppose I'll try and get involved with Atheist Ireland then.. I want to die knowing that I have done something worthwhile with my life, as opposed to just sitting around or working for some pointless business.

Actually on the note of Atheist Ireland they might have the very thing for you lamesausage. They recently launched a campaign website called "Good without gods" and started it off listing a few things you can get involved in if you want to be... as they say... good without gods.

While the site has been launched the campaign itself has been a little static while the Atheist Ireland AGM goes on plus Atheist Ireland have been terribly busy with things like the Human Rights convention in Warsaw etc etc. So there is room there for someone to try and get involved in the "good without gods" site itself and come up with more ideas for it and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Enter a political election, you will run for the position as an open atheist.
    Your competitor will be an actor, who's only skill is to act as a Christian.

You will be the only person besides the actor that will know he is an actor.
    Try your hardest to beat the actor in the election.

Is this one fascinated/horrified by gays too? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Is this one fascinated/horrified by gays too? :rolleyes:

Is that the guy who was obsessed with rectal prolapse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Sweet fancy Moses, that's one ugly website design...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

newbanner-abstract.png

....and aesthetic abstinence. :confused:

Advertisement