Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holz wells in Dublin

Options
  • 02-11-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about Holy wells in Dublin. Trinity has one, but it is not open the public.

I was out looking for ST. Catheriness well in Drumcondra today. according to an article in the indo (27-10) it is located at Griffith park but I scoured the place and found nothing remotely like a well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I don't know Griffith Park - is it a residential 'Park' or a public one? Have you looked at the old OSI maps? This link http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716439,737577,5,7 will bring you to the Griffith Ave. / N 1 junction. Navigate N/S/E/W using the compass rose on the top left and in the bottom panel on the right move the overlay slider from 1 to 99% to help you locate a well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I don't know Griffith Park - is it a residential 'Park' or a public one? Have you looked at the old OSI maps? This link http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716439,737577,5,7 will bring you to the Griffith Ave. / N 1 junction. Navigate N/S/E/W using the compass rose on the top left and in the bottom panel on the right move the overlay slider from 1 to 99% to help you locate a well.

thanks for that. The park is public,created in the thirties on an old rubbish dump. it is beside the Tolka on Botanic Road, maybe 400 metres from Fagans Pub. I will check out the map, though my map reading sills are not the best. I read about the well in a book on the subject but just said it was in someones backyard. the article in the Indo has a photo. I asked two elderly people in the park who were from the are, but they had no idea and had never heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Fuinseog wrote: »
    thanks for that. The park is public,created in the thirties on an old rubbish dump. it is beside the Tolka on Botanic Road, maybe 400 metres from Fagans Pub. I will check out the map, though my map reading sills are not the best. I read about the well in a book on the subject but just said it was in someones backyard. the article in the Indo has a photo. I asked two elderly people in the park who were from the are, but they had no idea and had never heard of it.

Here it is
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715687,736963,7,9

Play with the 'overlay' slider in the bottom right panel and it will show you where it is on a current map.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just spotted this page on Facebook for a book called Ancient & Holy Wells of Dublin - might be of interest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

...and a link to the book on the subject (not yet published?)

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    ...and a link to the book on the subject (not yet published?)

very clever advertising a book before it is even published. i will order it. December is not far away and i would love to go out and about looking for them. Not sure if its covered in the book but there is a well in kinsealy at the old monastery. its gas that there is medieval monastery in dublin and it is hardly known.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Fuinseog wrote: »
    very clever advertising a book before it is even published.

This brief little thread has been most serendipitous.

the book is being launched on 11 December at the Dublin writers' Centre. it could be a good evening.

Advertisement