Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding fine & licence issue..again

Options
  • 02-11-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I know this has probably been done to death, but can't see this particular situation anywhere so..

Hypothetically speaking, if I opened a fixed speeding fine today that had been issued back in August (I know, I know!), found out it was too late to pay and that a summons will be on the way soon - and here's the twist: DH was driving, they have photo proof, but DH had an expired licence at the time.

Should I go to court and just take the hit, or apologise for my late letter opening (Had a new baby) and pass the buck to DH? How much trouble would he be in?

(Neither of us have any points up till now)

Opinions gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Hypothetically speaking, how would the arrival of a new baby delay letter opening? That isn't an excuse a court is likely to consider credible.

I presume DH means Darling Husband or something similar from that category, in which case since more than 28 days would, in your hypothetical example, have elapsed since the date of the fixed notice charge, it would be too late to nominate another driver as having been in control of the car at the time.

I'm not sure what might happen in court if one were to subsequently attempt to nominate one's spouse as having been in charge of the vehicle beyond the notification window. It may not be possible. Even if it were, it would really be more of a personal decision between the couple in question than something requiring legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect your alibi of it being your husband is blown - both the owner and the driver have responsibilities.
    but DH had an expired licence at the time.
    Well has he renewed it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 happiestmama

Thanks for your input folks.

Advertisement