Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No smoke without fire

Options
  • 02-11-2012 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I've always detested this saying

You can make up any old sh**e or rumour then turn around and say no smoke without fire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Completely agree. It's a stupid phrase and usually used to accuse someone of something without actual evidence to accuse them with.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

what about smoke machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

As Bertie said "That's all Smoke and Daggers"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I hate the saying "Head over heels." Isn't your head always over your heels?

Outside of sexytime and falling downstairs obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I hate the saying "Head over heels." Isn't your head always over your heels?

Outside of sexytime and falling downstairs obviously.

Yes but what's that got to do with the 'thread heading', posts must be about smoke, fire, with or without.
    A bit like writing a novel without using the letter 'e'.
    Already I can see the thread's flickering embers, but you know what they say, 'There's no smoke without fire'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

it is a disgusting phrase used almost exclusively to project their own pathology upon others - if you know someone who uses this phrase, chances are you are dealing with a complete s**t who would make great witchhunt/mass hysteria creator.

These people are to be shunned. They have no place in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Have you cake and eat it. Just get more cake FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Absolutely hate that phrase being used to win an arguement. The last time someone tried that on me I told the person saying it that people were saying that he had been seen down a country lane with a little girl in his car.
    He said "that was my daughter who I was bringing for a walk"
    I told him I know that but others could use the phrase "theres no smoke without fire" to accuse him of being a paedophile

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

9959 wrote: »
    Yes but what's that got to do with the 'thread heading', posts must be about smoke, fire, with or without.
    A bit like writing a novel without using the letter 'e'.
    Already I can see the thread's flickering embers, but you know what they say, 'There's no smoke without fire'.

Yes no smoke without fire is a pointless saying.
    The OP gave out about a saying they hate. I put forward a saying I hate.
    My posts must be about what I decide to make them be about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

can't start a fire without a spark....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    Absolutely hate that phrase being used to win an arguement. The last time someone tried that on me I told the person saying it that people were saying that he had been seen down a country lane with a little girl in his car.
    He said "that was my daughter who I was bringing for a walk"
    I told him I know that but others could use the phrase "theres no smoke without fire" to accuse him of being a paedophile

I certainly hope you reported him to the authorities.

Advertisement