Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

united Ireland

Options
  • 02-11-2012 3:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

Wow, slow down there hoss, I know you read the title and are now thinking "aww ffs, not this **** again" or "800 years,,,,,, British occupation,,,,,,,rabble rabble" or " no surrender,,,,,rabble" but alas I would genuinely like to avoid all that and not discuss history, or the rights and wrongs of any side. This is pure theory so let's remain civil and discuss what would happen in a UI. I am genuinely interested because I have heard literally thousands of arguments about a UI but I have never once heard any discussions about the day after a UI comes into existence.

What I want to know is how do you envisage it happening? The practicle every day boring stuff. Where do the people who were employed in the civil service (over half the population) go to work? Do they get pay rises to match their southern counterparts? What about their pensions?Do a lot of them go on welfare? Does the psni absorbe into the guards? Do the guards have to start equal employment for protestants? Is their extra jobs in the military? Do the unionist hard liners cause trouble? Do the bins get empted weekly? Do local councils stay? Is health care free? Does N.I inherit some of the UK dept? Do the hospitals stay open? Do they need new equipment or does the UK leave it? Does the speed limit change and do we keep mph or go to kph? And any time a change happens does it be assumed that all the changes will be up north or will it be a vote? Housing benefit?

And many more questions lol.

Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hopefully it'll happen before 30th November 2017.

If it does I'm in for a sweet 5 euro windfall from a bet I made with my friend last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

gallag wrote: »

Discuss.

Why the lol?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll happen before 30th November 2017.

If it does I'm in for a sweet 5 euro windfall from a bet I made with my friend last week.
    I suppose that is the important thing lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Drakares wrote: »

Why the lol?
    Hopefully keeping a contentious topic light hearted but still interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

ok, **** the brits

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Does the speed limit change and do we keep mph or go to kph?

Hope you live up north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I guess a vaguely similar analogy is the position in Scotland in the run up to the elections in 2014.Or even look how the Irish state managed in 1922.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

What to do with Jackie Fullerton?

And myriad other pointless questions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I will take Jackie Fullerton if they take Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

aww ffs, not this **** again

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Bits out! lol

(Am I doing it right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Bet they'd love our high standard of health care up in Norn Iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

ROFPMSL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

UNITED IRELAND ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Under British Rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've just literally laughed my asshole inside out.:mad:

Have to spend the weekend in A&E now.

Damn Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I would much prefer a more fragmented Ireland.
    I would sell Donegal and Cavan (to UK for 30 billion), Wexford (to Germany for 40 billion), Mayo (to USA for 100 billion, Alaska style), Cork (split to France and Spain for 50 billion). A melting pot of different nations.

Then lets party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

LMFAO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

The south joins the north. Not the other way around. If we lose Scotland then we'll need to reclaim a territory to restore the balance...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd expect roaming gangs of punk bikers fighting over the crumbling remains of the last functioning petrol station in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Gallag, I think this topic would be better discussed in Politics, if you hope to avoid the usual thread implosion that follows every Northern Irish thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What would we do with our weekends in the pub if it wasnt arguing about the national allegiance of sporting stars from the enclave of NIR??

In all seriousness though, over the next 20 to 30 years ever more moderate and inclusive nationalist parties (probably including FF) will begin to achieve majorities at all levels of political representation in Northern Ireland, and as a fully secularised and economically recovered and wiser Republic of Ireland matures yet further, the question of reunification will seem less daft than it has in 120 years and it will be agreed with the English Government (Britain will have passed into history by then) that the referendum can be put to the people of NIR whether they wish to unify with the Republic. Having achieved a majority result of about 65/35 talks will begin to introduce the institutions of the Republic into the North and by degrees commonise the administration of the 6 counties.

Finally, by about the year 2035 Ireland will have reached that point dreamed of by so many great figures in history for so long, its standing as a modern, shining, all island, 32 county, sovereign state of Éire........doing a good impression of Delaware or Maine as it floats calmly and inconsequentially in the backwaters off the western coast of the 40 nation superstate the U.S.E......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Discuss.

LOL

michael-jordan-lol.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

We are part of The British Isles, so just leave it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭somairle

I think we should reunify simply for the ridiculousness of roaming charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If only the Lolalists and Cathilols could live in peace LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Transport - Roads, rail and airports are all there (maybe Derry to Galway isn't) but will need lots upkeep and maybe some investment on new ones. European Union funding should help here.

Euro - The sterling currency will have to be replaced by Euros. Not a big deal as the UK press assumed it would be when we changed overnight here in the Republic. The entire Irish population was expected to breakdown to "Mad Max" levels of anarchy.

Banking - funnily enough we have the same banks. Although we own our Banks and the UK public don't.

Water - Plenty of it I think ? (Not so sure about the aging pipes all over Ireland.)

Power - We have a connection already with Northern Ireland. For the future this UK interconnect is coming live sometime this year (?), so we will all be using imported nuclear power from the UK.

Telephones/Mobile Phones - Not a big problem as the mobile crowds are both sides of the border (O2 and Vodafone), they would lose their poxy roaming charges and won't be happy about that. The old fixed line and broadband stuff would have to be bought ... could be very pricy buying out that copper network off British Telecom.

Police - Can't see a problem with them merging. Once MI5/MI6 bog off.

Military - big one this, but maybe just as simple as Michael Collins taking charge in Dublin Castle in 1922. New uniforms, new future.

Civil Service - this will be the big one as it's at a ridiculous level at the moment. Buying happy middle class voters with jobs for life, more than the annual tax take for cigarettes in the UK is spent keeping the 6 counties running. This can't be maintained and everyone will be better off once real jobs and economy is introduced. Phase in a normal civil service numbers over say 8 years, and with good cash/tax incentives for the former civil servants to setup their companies and factories making computers or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

BASHIR wrote: »
    Hope you live up north?

Probably, from the other side of the fence as to speak :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81528062&postcount=30

Advertisement