Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

part-time course to help me teach?

Options
  • 02-11-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi all,
    been toying with idea of going back to college to do a course that would allow me to start teaching - secondary school or college perhaps? I only have pass Irish from my Leaving Cert so that rules out primary schools right? I also have a Bachelor degree and Masters in IT. I would love to get into teaching maths, physics, IT etc
    At the minute I would prefer to do a part time course and continue working. I havent done a whole lot of research into this yet but would love some advise on where to start the enquiries.
    I see NUIG have a 2 yr part time PDE course..is this something that would suit what im looking for?
    I also see DCU have a similar course 2 weekday evenings a week and they have the core subjects listed as in English, Maths, Geography etc.. I didnt see these in the NUIG one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

callMeMrs wrote: »
    I also have a Bachelor degree and Masters in IT. I would love to get into teaching maths, physics, IT etc

What you can teach at second level is determined by your level 8 degree. You need to check with the Teaching Council what you would be qualified to teach.

I think it is very unlikely that an IT degree would qualify you to teach maths or physics.

I think DCU is the only part time teacher training course for second level, but I'm not certain of that. There is also Hibernia which is distance learning.

Advertisement