Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldsore help!!

Options
  • 02-11-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

So supposed to be going on a first date tomorrow with this guy that I really like (how nerve wrecking!!:P ) but typically :rolleyes: just my look I've popped up with a coldsore today!! :(

So just wondering does anyone know how to get rid of it before tomorrow evening or at least hide it ?!?!?!?! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Unfortunately if the blisters are already up you're stuck with it for a few days. You can minimise the spread by keeping aciclovir cream on it (Zovirax or Acic which is cheaper) and if its only at the tingle stage this could prevent blisters appearing at all.

No kissing tomorrow night unfortunately :o the blister stage is highly infective.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 manicmonkey

anniehoo wrote: »
    Unfortunately if the blisters are already up you're stuck with it for a few days. You can minimise the spread by keeping aciclovir cream on it (Zovirax or Acic which is cheaper) and if its only at the tingle stage this could prevent blisters appearing at all.

No kissing tomorrow night unfortunately :o the blister stage is highly infective.

Never got the tingling stage, sneaky bugger just popped up overnight with no warning :mad:

Hopefully I can cover it up at least ? so I don't send him running the minute he sees this GIANT ugly thing on my lip :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Take lysine - it really helps me - it won't get rid of it but it seriously reduces the healing time. Gets rid of the 'blistery' stage faster so that it dries out and heals over.

Poor you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Nothing will get rid of it by tomorrow, unfortunately. Dab surgical spirits on it every hour or so to speed up the drying-out. Some people swear by the Compeed patches to cover them up, but I could never get them on properly so always ended up just looking worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I have been plagued with cold sores my entire life. None of the creams or compeed patches worked for me. I tried using ice, iodine, perfume, you name it! It wasn't until I went to a brilliant doctor who gave me aciclovir tablets. You take them four times a day for five days when you get a cold sore. I carry a strip of them in my handbag everywhere I go. If I feel any kind of sensation that a cold sore might be coming I might take one. And if a blister has already appeared, when I take the tablets they don't look as bad and they clear up faster. I now haven't had a cold sore in one year (used to get them once a month at least). I am so much happier.

Unfortunately for you it is too late and there is nothing to do except let the cold sore ride it's course. But in the future just be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

+1 on surgical spirit - it dries it out before it can weep and speeds up healing. Still, no kissing for your date. Best just to say you have a cold sore.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Has anyone used this?

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Avert-Electronic-Cold-Sore-Machine_1129542/

Sali Hughes was raved about it in the Guardian a few weeks back....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

this really really helps me, get a normal tea bag, soak it in boiling water and hold it to the coldsore for as long as you can stand. keep re-dipping it to keep it hot & wet.

I read it online somewhere and did it at the big blistery stage (not scab), and it seriously reduced it! did it on my last 2/3 coldsores.. Keep holding it on for as long as you can (i did for about an hour watching tv..) and definitely keep the teabag hot.

Seriously worked for me, was barely noticeable after it! It was still there but tiny and not inflamed anymore at all.. Best to do it as soon as you see it there, works best :)

Advertisement