Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inchicore Railway Works Developments?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I only came across this http://dublinobserver.com/2010/09/plan-to-develop-inchicore-railway-works/ this evening - incredible how I missed it previously - and I wonder what's the current status of the plans given that DART Undergound isn't going to happen this century.

We have indeed come along way from the early 1990's when Paul Conlon, the then Chairman of CIE, announced that the Works were going to become a centre of engineering excellence for the whole country. In the final analysis the Works repaired some gates for a nearby church, contracted out the building of the tea trollies and then gave up - what a wasted opportunity!

What got me thinking of the Works today was an item on the Joe Duffy show about Inchicore Village and the railway museum idea raised its head again. Surely, the ideal location and the the oldest part of the Works (outlined in red below) could be retained for the museum with the bulk of the 70 or acres developed as suggested in the aforementioned plan. Will it happen - unlikely, as joined-up-thinking would be required. :(

Inchicore%2BWorks%2B1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I can only assume it's another stillborn Celtic Tiger-esque development.

Will they have a museum there? I don't think so.

Talk to Joe.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's a disgrace Joe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Will they have a museum there? I don't think so.

I don't think so either but it would be fabulous though, especially with all the history associated with the site and attractions such as the old foundry etc. If you retained a connection to the mainline, you could easily swap exhibits in and out and transfer carriages etc. for conservation when necessary.

Of course, that is what other countries would do and we must remember we are in Ireland... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Given that the plans for Dart Underground haven't been abandoned, merely deferred (if you believe it), I think it highly unlikely that the part of the Works outlined would be set aside. Dart underground would plough straight through the middle of the circled area, from the main gate to the Ramps yard.

JD.
    Something like this?
    http://www.theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

I think gobnait is a sadist. That website link is like rattling a jar of sweets in front of a child's nose, then telling them they aren't getting any.

Been there before, and it looks like it has gotten better since my visit.

They had a GM cab with a driving simulator that small (and big) kids can play with. :D

There's no hope in reality, given that our useless politicians would say the future of Inchicore Works is an operational matter for CIE....what a country. All talk and no trousers - that's our leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

great idea but the works is still in operation along with the buildings circled.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    great idea but the works is still in operation along with the buildings circled.

From my memory most of the area outlined is full of clerical staff - they could be pensioned off/relocated/put into cryogenic storage/kept as exhibits or whatever - if the will was there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

the building that hosted the sheet metal workers and upholsterers is empty now
    one full side of the ramps is still working, the stores are empty really all thats left is two and a bit buildings. and if a certain guy had his way there would be no one left there except him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hiddenagenda

Advertisement