Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Dell or not to Dell..

Options
  • 01-11-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hey folks, a couple of months back I dropped my Dell 15 and pretty much smashed the socket for the charger :( I've now decided that there is no point trying to fix the blasted thing (Considering I've left it this long and done pretty little about it... :rolleyes:) So I'm in the market for a new laptop but would welcome any advice.

Basically I'm no computer whizz but i know my way around a computer. I've recently started studying Java programming in my free time and also purchased a Computer technician course on groupon. I'd definitely be a high frequency user for this new device both socially as well, for want of a better word, professionally.

I've always been a Dell man and never had any issues. The two i've had both lasted four years and would've lasted longer had it not been for my carelessness. I was thinkin i7 processor with a big RAM as i use large applications on my laptop which has been a problem on the home computer. I watch alot of movies and of course football manager so a semi decent graphics card is desirable. I think that pretty much covers my needs.... Should I just stick with dell? I've looked at elara and komplett as well as all the usual stores but nothin quite tickles my fancy :cool: Budget of around 800-900
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Cheapest Core i7 I see at Dell is the Inspiron 15R SE w 6GB RAM and a mediocre graphics card (HD 7730M) for €919

Quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scholar88

This one comes in cheaper than that

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n0015r42&model_id=inspiron-15r-5520&c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&

It was the one I thought was the best deal anyway in terms of what I was looking for...?

Missed that one, my bad.

Even got a better GPU and more RAM. Still no bargain but if you're happy with Dell...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scholar88

Well a Dell has never let me down. I'd like if you could perhaps give me some advice on what I should do? As I said all I have ever really known is Dell. Do you think there is a better package out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭geecee

Can't beat the dell Next Business day in home/work warranty...
    Better than waiting 1-4 weeks for an RMA or repair from some of the other laptop manufacturers or PCWorld

• Advertisement

This ASUS is pretty good value for money, similar specs, except the GPU is slower. I don't know how important graphics power is for you.

You can play with with the Genesis IV configurator, for the same price as the Dell, you'll get a Core i7 3630M, better graphics (GT 640M), 8 GB RAM, 750GB HDD. £657/€820 incl delivery, OS installation disk and 3 yr warranty.

geecee wrote: »
    Can't beat the dell Next Business day in home/work warranty.

At a premium. ;)

But might be worth it.

Advertisement