Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confusion about rent allowance

Options
  • 01-11-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all.. I know this is posted here alot of the time, but after searching through threads, i havent found anyone who posted in a similar situation. And after yoyo-ing all over the place to the cwo, citizens information, county council and social welfare office, im still completely lost..

Basically my situation is, im 21, on the disability allowance , things have gone to pot in my mams house and i cant live there anymore, at the moment im staying at a friends, but cant stay forever.. im saving everything i can for a deposit and first months rent for a 1 bed app i found. im not working so i need rent allowance, but there's no hope of me affording it for 6 the months you need to be living there before applying.. Some friends were saying that if i get my name on the social housing list, i could get the rent allowance right away.. is that true??

So basically what im asking is.. what do i do? haha.. i need to find somewhere to live asap.

any info will be much appreciated.

-Ted
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Go and see the CWO. Explain the situation to them. They will then advise on the best course of action.

BTW - Have you put your name down on the council housing list?? That should also help matters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

1) Go down to your local county/city council office,get the forms for housing.Fill them in and return them asap.

2)Find a suitable flat ect that takes rent allowance(within the rent limits for your area).Go to your local CWO and ask if there is any chance that they might be able to help you with the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ted.

cheers for the replies guys!.. but i was down at the cwo today, and the particular woman i seen was, for lack of a better word, a b**tch!! i explained my situation, and she thought i was trying to sign onto the dole.. she told me she cant do anything for me.. i have the housing list form filled out, im just trying to find the last few documents that need to be handed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I have read here recently that it is almost impossible to get on the housing list now, so it could be a case that you will have to go into private rented for 6 months before getting the rent allowance, they will more than likely tell you to either move home or to house share in order to pay less rent.

Advertisement