Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Names - What did you have, What did you call him/her?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

Surprised there's not a thread on this already. Surprised there's not a sticky either.

But here it goes. My OH is 17 weeks pregnant and we will find out the gender hopefully at 20 weeks scan.

Names is the hot topic at the moment.

Here is the 2011 top names in Ireland according to the CSO statistics.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/birthsdm/2011/babiesnames_2011.pdf

What way are people picking names deciding before or picking 2/3 they like and seeing after birth?

What did you have, what are you calling him/her. What are you having, has the topic been spoken about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I am 17 weeks too. Very undecided about finding out the gender, was adamant in the beginning we weren't going too but I have become so convinced it's a boy OH thinks it might be wise to find out just in case we get a shock on D day ( a very happy shock btw we would be ecstatic with either)

Boys name we had picked from the get go. It's an Irish name but is very uncommon and we just love it.

Could not for the life of me think of a girls name for ages, couldn't agree on one we "loved". I was mooching around the internet the other night and came across a name, said it to my OH and we both love it, so that's kind of stuck!!

People have told me though, baby might arrive and not "look like" the names we've picked so to have a back up. We have one or two other names of both genders in the back of our minds so hoping baba obliges and looks like our first choices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

We had a girl's name picked out and dead set on, couldn't find a boys name that either of us liked, got a 3D scan and found out it was a boy HAHA! So back to the drawing board! We have a name I think we will use and call the baby that at home when It's just the two of us, but we have two back up names that we like as well in case when we see him that name doesn't suit him at all!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are a few names that we have always loved. We have 2 girls and I was in love with the names and himself loves them too.
    If this one is a girl we have names if it is a by we are stuck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

here is 116 pages of ideas! I read through the entire thread, still not sure!
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055337887

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

We chose our names for a boy or girl before I was even pregnant. Our little boy has my maiden name (which is also a firstname) for his firstname with my dad's first name as his middle name. The girls names we've chosen are just names we like that go well with our surname and have a nice meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

We just had a baby boy, Will, who has a big brother called Rian :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I had a 3d scan and found out it was a girl. Took a while to pick a name and we were dead certain on it. Had 1 back up name also. When she was born neither name suited. I know people said this but didnt think it really happened. Ended up naming her 2 days later and the name we went with had never come up at all in our discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I really like the name Rian. That might just have to go on our list!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

scrgirl wrote: »
    here is 116 pages of ideas! I read through the entire thread, still not sure!
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055337887

We have loosely picked one boys and one girls name. According to this article 399 received the girls name in 2011 and 89 boys!

Advertisement