Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Web Browsers Do Most People In Clare Use?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I was curious as to find out what web browsers the majority of ye use here?

Personally I switched from Internet Explorer back when they rolled out 7 as it was way to bulky, had a HUGE footprint, and was chock full of bugs.

I went on to use Firefox for many years but it too has now gotten very large, quite bulky and they seem to be rolling out new versions every two weeks. I went from version 12 to version 16 in a couple of months.

I finally as of a month ago made the switch to Chrome. I had been putting this off for two reasons. First, the first versions of Chrome which were rolled out a year or so ago were very buggy. This now has been sorted and Chrome is very stable. The second thing that held me back was one add-on I have grown to love and can't live without that was previously only available in Firefox - Ad Block Plus. It is now available for Chrome and works great.

So I am now running Chrome with only one add-on, Ad Block Plus. It is very stable and with ABP installed, it makes everything run much quicker. For those of ye who have never seen that add-on I would say go RIGHT NOW to another tab and find it and install it. It uses a daily updated list to automatically block ALL ADS from the websites you visit. It removes them and you never see them. It makes every page you visit look very clean and neat and things load twice as fast when they are not bogged down bringing in ads from third party sites. It's available for Firefox and Chrome, but as I said above, I would suggest anyone who hasn't tried Chrome to give it a go because it is half the size of Firefox and has a much smaller footprint (uses much less RAM).

Anyway, thats me and my browser, what about ye?

What Browser do you use? 59 votes

Chrome
    0% 0 votes
    I.E.
    64% 38 votes
    Firefox
    8% 5 votes
    Safari
    18% 11 votes
    Android
    3% 2 votes
    Opera
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    1% 1 vote
    Atari Jaguar
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Currently using Chrome and Firefox portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Chrome - Laptop
    Safari - iPhone & iPad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Poll added, I used the options from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers and added the boards default of Atari Jaguar.

Personally I'm using Chrome and use it to sync between my laptops, desktop and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have nine or ten browsers installed.
    Some I use rarely, while others I use for particular purposes.

For general browsing I use Chromium but not Google.
    Searching is done from Startpage.com.

Download such as Youtube videos I use Download Manager in FF.

Konqueror/Rekong for protocols those don't handle well if at all.

Opera I have not used for some months .... but I have it installed 'just in case' :D

Arora, Midori, Qupzilla and a couple more are installed also.

No reason to limit yourself to one experience :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭buzz_E

I am using Chrome as current browser,but I still have the FF installed in my pc. IE already on it as it comes with OS. I have the Ad-Block as well

iso: Iso Power
    System Cleaner :CCleaner& Malware Antimalware.
    Microsoft Office 2010 Full. HCK Studio is next program. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

Firefox and Chrome. Have been using Firefox solidly for 2 or 3 years but just the last few months have started switching towards Chrome. I have been doing some work on SEO and Adwords and Chrome has some good Add-ons available for this kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

chrome for most stuff, i find firefox a little faster for somethings lately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I use chrome also, have done since the beginning,
    I prefer Firefox's customisation, but if and when I do use FF, I use a version called Waterfox, which is completely built using FF's source code, but optimised for x64 machines, so it performs a bit better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Safari on my Mac at home (and iPad and iPhone) for general browsing.

In work, I'm a web developer, so all of them. I still have to use IE7 for testing and one internal system that won't run in any other browser. Thankfully we dropped support for IE6 last year.

But Firefox is my default in work, mainly because of Firebug.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How does this compare with other counties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

When Chrome came out and I switched from Explorer because it ran a lot faster on my ancient laptop. Never got along with Firefox it felt too Netscapey.

Opera on my 2009 Nokia phone because that's what it came with hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Never got along with chrome when it came out first, especially using boards, text would disappear then reappear. Never went back, now mostly use ipad so stuck with safari

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Chrome

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Firebug is handy. I generally use firefox now as chrome seems to have gotten very slow recently. I really couldn't be bothered reinstalling it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Iceweasel on Debian, any other icy weasels out there?:D
    Other than that this system also has Epiphany, which I open up once a year, so it won't get rusty. Then I close it again.
    One add on I run is scrip blocker.
    The Windows machines all run Firefox. I don't think IE has been installed on any machine in this house.
    Thinking of ad block plus, but only so I won't have to sit through a 30 second ad to watch a one minute youtube video, otherwise I don't mind a few ads about the place, as long as they don't intrude too much or keep me from the actual content.

Advertisement