Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax And Rates

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I have been following a few threads here on the new property tax as well as watching the news and following a few political blogs, but I still have a question which I have yet to find the answer to I was hoping someone here might be able to answer.

Right now our local services provided by our county council are paid for by rates. Businesses pay rates and this fees/taxes paid go to fund council services.

The new property tax on home owners is also going to go to the local county council as well. This is where I seem to have reached a wall in my search for answers - if we all are going to be paying property taxes to the council, will the council still be collecting rates from businesses?

It would seem we are being taxed twice for the same services. It would also seem that would lead to a HUGE financial surplus in every county, but at the cost of hitting every citizen with a crippling new regressive tax.

So far no one has said anything about getting rid of them. This would help business as well as customers as it would allow businesses to drop their prices since the council tax burden is now going to be shifted from businesses to everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Councils only get 25-50% of their income from rates. The property tax will be used to replace government grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Victor wrote: »
    Councils only get 25-50% of their income from rates. The property tax will be used to replace government grants.

Do you know what percentage of the councils budget comes from grants? And more importantly, will they be doing away with rates?

CptSternn wrote: »
    Do you know what percentage of the councils budget comes from grants?
    It varies between councils and from year to year. Have a look here: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/LocalGovernmentAdministration/LocalGovernmentFinance/
    And more importantly, will they be doing away with rates?
    I doubt it, certainly not immediately.

|Have a look at page 15 here

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jimmyjumpup

Hi,
    I built a house 4 yrs ago but ran outta money. I never finished the house, ie no electricity, water or sewerage. the house is not liveable. Must I pay a property tax.

Hi,
    I built a house 4 yrs ago but ran outta money. I never finished the house, ie no electricity, water or sewerage. the house is not liveable. Must I pay a property tax.

Probably not, as it isn't habitable.

You will however need to talk to Revenue, especially if they have sent you a form. Take pictures with a date stamp on them and keep them for any future queries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement