Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching abroad:Dubai vs. hong kong??

Options
  • 01-11-2012 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    I'm looking into taking a career break next year (2013/2014) and teaching abroad for a while. I'm a fully qualified Irish primary school teacher with three years experience. Having visited hong kong, I have fallen in love with the place but I have heard great things about Dubai. If any of you have taught in either of these places, your knowledge would be so helpful.

The registration for teaching in hong kong is a worry for me. Do you know how to get registered, where to look for jobs, what teaching in hong kong is like and the rate of pay?

Regarding Dubai, there are so many websites advertising jobs but most look suspicious. Where is the best place to look for jobs, how do you get set up to find /start teaching in Dubai, what's teaching in Dubai like compared to Ireland and the general rate of pay?

The greatest concern for me re moving to Dubai is the strict rules and laws. What is Dubai like or a female/couple to live?

I know I've thrown a lot of questions at ye....I'm just very confused!! Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Hello, I haven't taught in either but I've been teaching in the Middle East - Kuwait for the past two weeks. Dubai is much more liberal than here and I think you're free to pretty much go on as you want. I don't really like it here to be honest and I'll definitely not be renewing in June! It's a job and I'd be on the dole if I was at home. If you're in a job at home then you're in a different boat; I'd love to be teaching at home.

Fell free to ask any question on the Middle East in general. I've been looking into places to go myself for next year. I was thinking of somewhere maybe in South America or maybe even Hong Kong or China.

Advertisement