Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So...what is the greatest CRT known to man?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Was reading the paper the other day and there was a section about recycling your old TVs with the digital switchover - this is something which didn't occur to me, loads more CRTs are going to be scrapped as a result.

So anyway, while there are potentially loads of free CRTs knocking about, does anyone know what the best CRT is?

I've been extremely happy with my Sony Trinitron ever since picking it up, but have always wondered what is known as the best CRT you can get.

One has always tickled my fancy (as there's an old one in work and the picture quality is stunning), the NEC MultiSync XM29 Plus. It's more of a studio/editing monitor, but some folk seem to use them for gaming. Even has a degauss button on the remote from what I've read!

724627.jpg

61459616dg6.jpg

94502809sq5.jpg

It's got a crazy amount of inputs

16356469qy3.jpg

So, what else is out there? How do those Bang Oulfsen Beovisions hold up against the mighty Trinitrons?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've one of these lads
    1358__250x187_img_2465.jpg

A Phillips CM8833 , its a bit small , but has pin sharp RGB in , as well as AV , degaussing , greenscreen, decent sound and AV in as well .Gets used with the Amiga , and the RGB/modded Megadrive ;)

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/12/09/2009/philips-cm8833-personal-monitor-the-best-multimedia-crt-monitorphilips-cm8833-personal-monitor-il-miglior-monitor-multimediale/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was that the one you picked up in the trading forum a while back? Was raging I missed that! :D

Would love to pick one up for my Amiga too. It doesn't feel like a proper Amiga until it has it's own monitor.

I remember the Pyongster going on about some amazing Dell monitor ages ago too. Anyone remember what it was?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just a Dell CRT afaik. I don't imagine it's any better quality than a Trini or B&O. It has VGA input which would be more hassle I guess, when SCART would normally be the weapon of choice. Depends on what you're hooking up to it I guess.

That NEC you linked above looks cool mainly for the array of inputs it has, quality picture too.

No matter how good a picture a TV produces though, one thing I always miss is the adjustment pots you get with an arcade monitor. So much easier to tweak a picture using them than having to muck about with service menus. Then again some folk prob don't give a damn about adjusting pictures nor need to maybe. A 29" arcade monitor is also pretty cool size wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apparently that NEC is just a tri sync monitor in a steel box, it has a steel cage so it can be rotated vertically really easily.

One lad said the picture quality was better than the monitor in his NAC!

Advertisement