Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

98fm new schedule ?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

What will be the new schedule on 98fm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭chilloutrelax

From the schedule on their website, Steven Cooper and Daragh O'Dea are gone from weekdays http://www.98fm.com/onair/schedule/

Seems like Claire Solan is doing the 1 4 pm slot at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

I only thought Solan was filling in for Cooper? This is strange I really enjoyed him. According to his twitter he's still with 98FM doing Club Collection, that's strange how fast he was gone? Anyone have any details on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 koconnell

I heard a promo for On Air with Ryan Seacrest on 98fm today so it looks like they're syndicating shows from the states now. I'd imagine the Ryan Seacrest show will replace Darragh O'Dea. It didn't specify a time slot, only mentioning "coming soon."

Any idea who could replace Cooper? I thought he was a great jock!

koconnell wrote: »
    I heard a promo for On Air with Ryan Seacrest on 98fm today so it looks like they're syndicating shows from the states now. I'd imagine the Ryan Seacrest show will replace Darragh O'Dea. It didn't specify a time slot, only mentioning "coming soon."

Any idea who could replace Cooper? I thought he was a great jock!

Was just about to comment about the Ryan Seacrest thing also. Bottom of the barrel syndicating from America? Is there nobody else in Ireland they could replace him with?!

There's plenty of talent in Ireland they could replace him with - Brian McColl is one person I'd suggest when he finishes his stint on their brekkie show.

Judging by their Facebook, twitter & website they're trying to go down the celebrity route! They also had the Keith Duffy show recently so I suppose this is the next step in that direction...

I can sort of understand the Ryan Seacrest show if they want to go down the Celeb obsessed route but poor Cooper!

Maybe Claire Solan is getting that show?

• Advertisement

Brian is brilliant I must say, he knows the inner workings of radio to the core & what not to say.

But they aren't really keeping it local if they go down the Seacrest route & there would be little or no Dublin listener interaction bar through social media sites.

I don't know, I doubt it. I'd say they would have kept her and Aidan on the breakfast show up until Foley starts and then moved her 1-4? Not sure I'm looking forward to all these changes, looking forward to the new Today FM schedule also.

Thing is when Steven & Darragh got the chop it seems they were gone straight away with no mention made of it.

Aidan & Claire weren't pulled off air like that. They told the listeners a week or so before their last show that they were leaving.

With Claire Solan still around now I'd imagine she'll be hanging on in 98fm in one capacity or another. If not weekdays maybe one of the weekend slots?

I'm not sure how syndicated shows like Seacrest's work. I'd imagine it's totally generic and doesn't even mention the station name at all. Then again he mentions the station name in the promo so maybe there'll be some reference. I doubt there will be any listener interaction though.

It's a very risky move by 98. A sad one too. Not nice seeing local talent get the axe in favour of some programme imported from the states.

I'd guess the new schedule will kick in once Foley starts. Obviously they are just in a holding position til then. Getting the fill in djs like Brian Walsh / Trina Mara to cover until it kicks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I am absolutely appalled by these changes. Ryan Seacrest? Are they serious? Who is going to want to listen to him?
    I was really looking forward to the addition of Ray Foley and by getting rid of the annoying and banal Aidan & Claire, 98fm was making really positive steps towards turning the station around. IMO, they've undone the good of bringing in Foley.
    The saddest thing about the changes is the loss of the excellent Steven Cooper from 1-4. For me, he was the best presenter on the station apart from Dermot & Dave and it is an absolute disgrace that he has been unceremoniously dropped from weekdays. He should have been given the opportunity to tell listeners about the change at the very least. I used to love listening to Cooper and he was one of the best afternoon presenters in Ireland IMO. What a shocker from 98fm.... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Shocking stuff I must say, in Dermot and Dave they have one of the best shows on radio at the moment but they cant rely on them to just pull in all the ratings, if they have syndicated ****e like Ryan Seacrest on during the day what good is that, no interaction with listeners, poor quality sound, badly edited pieces... With Foley coming in it looked like they actually wanted to turn the station around but now it looks like the gap between breakfast and drivetime will be filled with crap, how they did they do on the latest JNLR figures, is there a need for this change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

havent heard Cooper on 98fm all week, clare solan was covering so checked the 98fm website, and it looks like Cooper and darragh o dea are gone. all mention of either are gone off the website, the new schedule has Barry dunne doing 10-3, and dermot and dave 3 - 7pm .. your thoughts ? i liked coop myself.

• Advertisement

It's the same as FM104's day time schedule...not very creative!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

How original! 98fm also appear to be adopting FM104'S "5 Hits In A Row". Do they really think that the answer to their problems are getting rid of their second best presenter from weekdays and copying their rival?

If it was up to me,

6-10: The 98fm Breakfast Show with Ray Foley & JP
    10-1: A new female presenter (something they've lacked over the years)
    1-4: Steven Cooper
    4-7: Dermot & Dave
    7-10: Barry Dunne
    10-1: The Joan Lea Show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

heybaby wrote: »
    havent heard Cooper on 98fm all week, clare solan was covering so checked the 98fm website, and it looks like Cooper and darragh o dea are gone. all mention of either are gone off the website, the new schedule has Barry dunne doing 10-3, and dermot and dave 3 - 7pm .. your thoughts ? i liked coop myself.
    Cost cutting. Spending the money at breakfast so cant afford 3 shows during the rest of the day. Revenue must be way down with that low market share figure they have now

Dermot said to listen out for Coopers club collection this weekend at the end of the show, so he's still doing that for now, maybe if he has left it was his own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jameslavelle70

98fm has been in the sh**te for a number of years, their biggest issue is knee jerk reaction to the JNLR's. Just look at FM104, thats the reason they are number 1 and will be for a long time to come. It's also kind of strange why their current CEO hasnt been sacked for having so many bad books, any of the previous CEO's / PD's were gone once they had 1 bad book. Maybe Chris Doyle and DOB know each other more than we know!

I also wonder how the 98FM CEO hasn't been removed. From a strategic point of view it has been all over the place, e.g. Programming, branding, promotion, positioning, consistency etc etc
    It would make an great case study for any undergrad business student on how to make a mess of business!!
    The buck stops at the CEO....

Ryan Seacrest is due to start his show on 98FM on Monday at 7pm.

Source 98FM Facebook page.

Interested to see how this one will work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

So it seems the new schedule will look like this

6am -10am - Ray Foley & JP
    10am -3Pm Barry Dunne
    3pm - 7 PM Dermot & Dave
    7pm - 9pm Ryan Seacrest
    9pm - 12am Joan Lea

Personally I feel like a 5 hour show is a bit too long for a single presenter. maybe have Barry Dunne on until 1 then have someone else then playing ad fee 60's 1 until 3.

So it seems the new schedule will look like this

6am -10am - Ray Foley & JP
    10am -3Pm Barry Dunne
    3pm - 7 PM Dermot & Dave
    7pm - 9pm Ryan Seacrest
    9pm - 12am Joan Lea

Personally I feel like a 5 hour show is a bit too long for a single presenter. maybe have Barry Dunne on until 1 then have someone else then playing ad fee 60's 1 until 3.

I'd imagine they'll be two/three ad free blitzes during Barry's show, looking forward to seeing how they're going to do this Ryan Seacrest situation. Not exactly the best option if they are trying to reel their listeners back in, if anything they're pushing them further away with little or no interaction with Seacrest.

I don't know it might work. I though the same when SPIN south west began syndicating SPIN hits with Nikki Hayes from SPIN 1038, but it seems to have worked. Then again theres a big difference between syndicating a show from Dublin to Limerick than there is from America to Dublin

• Advertisement

I don't know it might work. I though the same when SPIN south west began syndicating SPIN hits with Nikki Hayes from SPIN 1038, but it seems to have worked. Then again theres a big difference between syndicating a show from Dublin to Limerick than there is from America to Dublin

Yes, but they use a RCS split system so they can do Limerick/Dublin calls, texts and imaging. I don't see that working too well doing it from America.

Yes, but they use a RCS split system so they can do Limerick/Dublin calls, texts and imaging. I don't see that working too well doing it from America.

Yeah will be interesting to see how it works. If the show is syndicated live I can see Ryan being too busy with his few million listeners in the states to worry about the few thousand in Dublin . Time will tell

Yeah will be interesting to see how it works. If the show is syndicated live I can see Ryan being too busy with his few million listeners in the states to worry about the few thousand in Dublin . Time will tell

Yeah few :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

The whole idea behind Ryan Seacrest is it fits the 98fm 'women' audience. Just imagine, they've had a hard day working and want to come home to some stars and entertainment news from Ryan in LA. It's also an affordable move for 98. I'd say they'd put the show on to replace Joan Lea, but we'll see. This show has worked on Real Radio in the UK, it has catered for the 'housewives favourites' format and brought in the listeners.

Sad to see Stephen Cooper go, but he has other back-up jobs like Four-Play DJ's.

Barry Dunne has now been moved to the 10-3 slot, making him in line with Andy Preston.

gavindowd wrote: »
    The whole idea behind Ryan Seacrest is it fits the 98fm 'women' audience. Just imagine, they've had a hard day working and want to come home to some stars and entertainment news from Ryan in LA. It's also an affordable move for 98. I'd say they'd put the show on to replace Joan Lea, but we'll see. This show has worked on Real Radio in the UK, it has catered for the 'housewives favourites' format and brought in the listeners.

Sad to see Stephen Cooper go, but he has other back-up jobs like Four-Play DJ's.

Barry Dunne has now been moved to the 10-3 slot, making him in line with Andy Preston.

Well in that case i'm excited. Also SPIN 1038 just announced their last Sunday Service. I wonder what will replace those two hours, times must be really tough for Communicorp at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

It's some show of mercy on 98s part that they now have to match their show day parts with 104s. Copying the market leader doesn't just fix a problem. They've done it in the past and it hasn't worked.

No. 4 station in Dublin, the station is suffering a very public identity crisis, D&D are the strongest on the station yet they're losing listeners not gaining due to what's being fed into them by under performing shows and it's all on Foley's shoulders now to turn it around. Will Dublin take to his personality first thing in the morning? We'll see. If it doesn't, 98 will be in even more **** than they are now. Ray is a talented presenter so it's a good punt but he's going to have to get breakfast so right which is no simple task for someone who has never done it before.

Surely, this has to be Chris Doyle's last roll of the dice??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

gavindowd wrote: »
    The whole idea behind Ryan Seacrest is it fits the 98fm 'women' audience. Just imagine, they've had a hard day working and want to come home to some stars and entertainment news from Ryan in LA.
    More likely they are watching Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Fair City & Eastenders every night.

Besides now that 98 are going all laddish during the day with Foley & co and D&D will there be any females left listening to the station at all?

Was just wondering how come 98 didn't keep Aidan and Claire on until Foley started. They just had some boring fella covering it

Having a non interactive show on before your most interactive show of the day? What a ridiculous idea, they should be reeling fans in in the build up to the Joan Lea show. Although I think the show is fairly rubbish, well behind Aidrian Kennedy or even Niall Boylan, and at 9 to 10 id rather listen to off the ball anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Surely, this has to be Chris Doyle's last roll of the dice??

Chris was PD of Spin 1038 before moving to CEO of 98FM

Advertisement