Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablets causing drowziness

Options
  • 31-10-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am currently taking benylin cold and flu, and they are making me extremely drowsy! Yet funnily enough if I take paracetamol or sudafed combined it doesn't, is there something extra in the benalin?
    <snip>
    Can anyone explain why these cause drowsiness?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Asking for Medical advice is against the rules here. Please read the forum charter

OP altered question to ask why these cause drowsiness and does not want any advice on how to combat it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Depends on which one you are taking. Isn't there a "Cold n Flu" for night-time and another one for day time? What's the exact name of the tablet?

Also, could be a combination of being sick AND taking the Benylin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Paracetamol doesn't effect your alertness level.
    Pseudoephedrine is used as a decongestant but will make you hyper or high if you take enough of it -the opposite of drowsy.

The 'Day' version has paracetamol and pseudoephedrine.
    The 'Night' version of Benilyn cold and flu has diphenhydramine instead of pseudoephedrine. Diphenhydramine is a sedating antihistamine so will make you sleepy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I just looked at the box there, there is no mention of night or day on the box it just says Benylin 4 Flu. And the ingredients are diphenhydramine hydrochloride, paracetamol and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. So I guess it's the diphenhydramine that's hitting me then! Or as another poster said it could just be because of being sick I guess, started antibiotics yesterday so the combination could also be making me sleepy. I just find the effects of different medications fascinating, what I find extremely fascinating is that this Benylin is sedating me more than intravenous sedation did a couple of weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Definitely the diphenhydramine - very sedating. Do not drive or operate heavy machinary! Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

neemish wrote: »
    Definitely the diphenhydramine - very sedating. Do not drive or operate heavy machinary! Seriously.

I can't drive anyway :D My cats appreciate having a sleepy owner, every time I wake up there is one of them sitting on me!

Advertisement