Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting For BTEA ( please take time to read)

Options
  • 31-10-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So For the past two months I have been trying to apply for Back to education allowance to help support myself in college and I keep hitting the same hurdle every time.
    I have sent emails to the social welfare trying to fight my case but to no surprise I have not received any help.
    I feel I should be entitled to some sort of support and help to get me through college which has not been happening.
    I would like to voice my opinion, which I do so in the emails below, showing communication between my self and social welfare.
    The third email is where I make the most of my points , I just threw in the previous emails so every one would get an idea of what is going on.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in response to the letter dated 11/09/2012 informing me that my application for the Back to Education Allowance has been unsuccessful because I already hold a qualification at an equivalent level.
    I currently hold a FETAC Level 5 Certificate in Healthcare Support. I obtained that certificate as part of a Traineeship I done with FAS as I could not obtain work at that time. I wish to further my training in healthcare and become a nurse. I have applied to a course for a level 5 certificate in pre nursing studies as I need it to gain entry to nursing in order to obtain my degree.

I cannot directly access the level 8 nursing course without completing the level 5 course as I do not have enough points in my leaving certificate and the level 5 cert obtained through FAS won’t help either as it did not cover three modules necessary for FETAC entry to nursing.

Also to my understanding there is not a level 6 certificate available in either healthcare support or pre nursing studies.

I would like my application to be reviewed by another officer as doing this course will enhance my chance of becoming employed and successful in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Dear *****,

With regards to your email 10/10/2012, the back to education allowance (BTEA) scheme is designed to help those in receipt of a social welfare payment who have not worked for a period of time to improve their employability and job-readiness by acquiring educational qualifications. It is in recognition of the special difficulties which such persons can face when attempting to gain a foothold in the labour market. The scheme enables qualified people who have been getting a social welfare payment to continue to receive a payment while pursuing an approved full-time education course.

However, as stated in our guidelines, to qualify for the Back to Education Scheme a person must be "progressing in education". This means that s/he must be attempting to obtain a higher qualification to any qualification already held, so if you already hold a Fetac level 5, then we cannot support you to do another Fetac level 5, you must do a higher level.

I am not aware of any situation where these rules are not followed, unfortunately, we must adhere to our guidelines.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Back to Education
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Co Leitrim

Dear ********

Thank you for your reply, however this news is very discouraging for me and I am sure it is for many other people also.

In regards to the former FETAC qualification , as I stated in my last email, this FETAC level 5 was obtained through a FAS Traineeship. To be totally honest in the begining I only done this course because social welfare were chasing me up in regards to either getting a job or taking part in a course through FAS. Since then I have realised that this is the industry I want to get in to.
    As nursing is so hard to get into I really need as this course to assist me in gaining entry in to higher level education.
    I had been on social welfare from march 2011 and started this traineeship in November 2011 and finished in August 2012. So to my understanding I have the requirements in relation to the length of time I needed to be on a social welfare payment.

The way it is at the moment I am finding it really hard to support myself in college and I may need to drop out and go back on social welfare as I am sure you understand a job is fairly hard to come by. I cant afford books and resources needed for college, if I want to continue to feed myself. As I said before I cant progress without this cert as the fetac from FAS is no good to me for progression, so I need to know what can be done for a normal person whom cant afford college alone and genuinely wants to get off the dole as if im not granted BTEA this year I wont be able to continue next year and I will definitely be back on the dole for god knows how long, especially in these days ... no qualification means no job realistically.

I just don't see the logic , what looks better for Social Welfare , getting people off the dole and into education and eventually into employment or gaining extra in the ques.

I think its very unfair that there is no help available for these circumstances and I have heard of people being granted BTEA if it enhances their opportunities to progress in education before.

I know you do not write the rules ****** but I need to voice my opinions to some one, so if this is all the help you can give me at the moment will you please point me in the direction of someone who could add to your advice.
    Otherwise , in the next few weeks I will be back on the live register , congratulations hatch 8 you just got your number one customer back and commiserations to the government , you will have to work in another person to your unemployment statistics this year among many others I'm sure.

Thank you,

I have removed names for confidentiality.

I believe that many others are in the same boat as me and I would just like to get other peoples opinions on the situation and maybe some advice.
    Also if you could let me know if I you agree with my statements in the above emails.

Thank you for your time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 deanhughes

g4r4ru5 wrote: »
    So For the past two months I have been trying to apply for Back to education allowance to help support myself in college and I keep hitting the same hurdle every time.
    I have sent emails to the social welfare trying to fight my case but to no surprise I have not received any help.
    I feel I should be entitled to some sort of support and help to get me through college which has not been happening.
    I would like to voice my opinion, which I do so in the emails below, showing communication between my self and social welfare.
    The third email is where I make the most of my points , I just threw in the previous emails so every one would get an idea of what is going on.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in response to the letter dated 11/09/2012 informing me that my application for the Back to Education Allowance has been unsuccessful because I already hold a qualification at an equivalent level.
    I currently hold a FETAC Level 5 Certificate in Healthcare Support. I obtained that certificate as part of a Traineeship I done with FAS as I could not obtain work at that time. I wish to further my training in healthcare and become a nurse. I have applied to a course for a level 5 certificate in pre nursing studies as I need it to gain entry to nursing in order to obtain my degree.

I cannot directly access the level 8 nursing course without completing the level 5 course as I do not have enough points in my leaving certificate and the level 5 cert obtained through FAS won’t help either as it did not cover three modules necessary for FETAC entry to nursing.

Also to my understanding there is not a level 6 certificate available in either healthcare support or pre nursing studies.

I would like my application to be reviewed by another officer as doing this course will enhance my chance of becoming employed and successful in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Dear *****,

With regards to your email 10/10/2012, the back to education allowance (BTEA) scheme is designed to help those in receipt of a social welfare payment who have not worked for a period of time to improve their employability and job-readiness by acquiring educational qualifications. It is in recognition of the special difficulties which such persons can face when attempting to gain a foothold in the labour market. The scheme enables qualified people who have been getting a social welfare payment to continue to receive a payment while pursuing an approved full-time education course.

However, as stated in our guidelines, to qualify for the Back to Education Scheme a person must be "progressing in education". This means that s/he must be attempting to obtain a higher qualification to any qualification already held, so if you already hold a Fetac level 5, then we cannot support you to do another Fetac level 5, you must do a higher level.

I am not aware of any situation where these rules are not followed, unfortunately, we must adhere to our guidelines.

Kind regards

Back to Education
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Co Leitrim

Dear ********

Thank you for your reply, however this news is very discouraging for me and I am sure it is for many other people also.

In regards to the former FETAC qualification , as I stated in my last email, this FETAC level 5 was obtained through a FAS Traineeship. To be totally honest in the begining I only done this course because social welfare were chasing me up in regards to either getting a job or taking part in a course through FAS. Since then I have realised that this is the industry I want to get in to.
    As nursing is so hard to get into I really need as this course to assist me in gaining entry in to higher level education.
    I had been on social welfare from march 2011 and started this traineeship in November 2011 and finished in August 2012. So to my understanding I have the requirements in relation to the length of time I needed to be on a social welfare payment.

The way it is at the moment I am finding it really hard to support myself in college and I may need to drop out and go back on social welfare as I am sure you understand a job is fairly hard to come by. I cant afford books and resources needed for college, if I want to continue to feed myself. As I said before I cant progress without this cert as the fetac from FAS is no good to me for progression, so I need to know what can be done for a normal person whom cant afford college alone and genuinely wants to get off the dole as if im not granted BTEA this year I wont be able to continue next year and I will definitely be back on the dole for god knows how long, especially in these days ... no qualification means no job realistically.

I just don't see the logic , what looks better for Social Welfare , getting people off the dole and into education and eventually into employment or gaining extra in the ques.

I think its very unfair that there is no help available for these circumstances and I have heard of people being granted BTEA if it enhances their opportunities to progress in education before.

I know you do not write the rules ****** but I need to voice my opinions to some one, so if this is all the help you can give me at the moment will you please point me in the direction of someone who could add to your advice.
    Otherwise , in the next few weeks I will be back on the live register , congratulations hatch 8 you just got your number one customer back and commiserations to the government , you will have to work in another person to your unemployment statistics this year among many others I'm sure.

Thank you,

I believe that many others are in the same boat as me and I would just like to get other peoples opinions on the situation and maybe some advice.
    Also if you could let me know if I you agree with my statements in the above emails.

Thank you for your time

Really your not entitled to it and neither should you be, you did the course because the dole was chasing you is an example of what's wrong with the system

Get a part time job if you want to go to college so bad. Like many of us had too I'm the past

Also the moratorium on hse jobs means most nurses leave the state once graduated

• Registered Users Posts: 10 g4r4ru5

Thank you for your opinion.

Believe me I have been trying to obtain part time work but it is very hard to do so.

I am not planning on leaving the state when qualified , I hope the recruitment freeze will be lifted by the time I qualify, and then there is always private work.

However more to the point, I am sure there are others in my position, and I am sure I am not the only one with this opinion.

I am only trying to get peoples opinions and advice on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 deanhughes

My opinion on this matter is you were given an opportunity many people in many countries would die for but you squandered it to get the dole of your back as you say so why should the tax payer foot the bill again?

Imo btea should be scrapped but thats just me

I did not squander the opportunity, I am grateful as it gave me an insight into what I want to do with my life.
    As stated in my emails, I don't want to be on the dole, I want to educate myself so I can get a degree which will lead to employment.
    I have paid taxes in previous employment, and I will be paying taxes for the rest of my working life once I am employed. I would never begrudge anyone of that, as the majority of people these days are or will be in a situation similar to this.

I did not post this to start an argument, how ever I respect your opinion.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

deanhughes wrote: »
    My opinion on this matter is you were given an opportunity many people in many countries would die for but you squandered it to get the dole of your back as you say so why should the tax payer foot the bill again?

Imo btea should be scrapped but thats just me

Come on Dean its advice she is looking for not abuse, hopefully you wont find yourself in the same situation someday.
    Anyway the course you done in Fas, Was this a full fetac level 5 major award? which would make up of at least 8 subjects. If not you have a case.
    To gain access to most third level colleges you need a fetac level 5 major award. Ask to speak with the local facilitator in your social welfare office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭batistuta9

As stated in my emails, I don't want to be on the dole, I want to educate myself so I can get a degree which will lead to employment.

what age are you?

Thank you for your reply.The cert is a fetac major award , this is the reason I have been refused, but the cert I have is missing 3 necessary modules required for entry. This is the reason I am doing pre nursing studies as it covers these modules

:)

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what age are you?

I am 20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JessicaClare

Dear Sir/Madam

Yours Sincerely

Dear *****,

Kind regards

Back to Education
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Co Leitrim

Dear ********

Thank you,

Thank you for your time

Hey g4r4ru5

I'm afraid you're not entitled to BTEA and they are quite strict but if you're serious about doing nursing there is a few things you can do..

You could wait till you're 23 and apply as a mature but I'm sure you're already aware of this.

You could also wait till you're 21 and do a VTOS in nursing if there is one near or again a Leaving Cert VTOS to repeat and try get the points to get into a university. If you do choose the option to repeat then I suggest you apply for the HEAR scheme if you qualify.

Or if the worst comes to it and you have to drop out, try save best you can, enough to support you through the course you're doing at the moment and apply for it again.

Hope that helps :)

Hey g4r4ru5

I'm afraid you're not entitled to BTEA and they are quite strict but if you're serious about doing nursing there is a few things you can do..

You could wait till you're 23 and apply as a mature but I'm sure you're already aware of this.

You could also wait till you're 21 and do a VTOS in nursing if there is one near or again a Leaving Cert VTOS to repeat and try get the points to get into a university. If you do choose the option to repeat then I suggest you apply for the HEAR scheme if you qualify.

Or if the worst comes to it and you have to drop out, try save best you can, enough to support you through the course you're doing at the moment and apply for it again.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you for the advice they are some of the options I was looking into , but I was just trying all the options before I had to decide on dropping out.
    Thank you again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I am 20 :)

the person above said it but at 23 you can apply as a mature student & the LC doesn't matter as much then, if at all

but in the north/UK a mature student might be 21 so check that out

at least you can go as a nurse for halloween :pac:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the person above said it but at 23 you can apply as a mature student & the LC doesn't matter as much then, if at all

but in the north/UK a mature student might be 21 so check that out

at least you can go as a nurse for halloween :pac:

Thank you for your advice.

Yes I believe I will be looking into all of these options sooner rather then later.

Haha , I suppose I can :pac:

Advertisement