Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Killarney Transport Museum - where did it all go?

Options
  • 31-10-2012 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

Did any of the collection stay here or was it all spirited over to the uk or elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Most of its in my shed....

I wish. :(

Such a waste of a fine museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Oddly enough it still exists, in cyberspace.

http://www.kerrytourist.com/details/museum_of_irish_transport.shtml
    http://www.ireland.com/leisure/culture/museums/national-museum-of-irish-transport/621789
    http://www.trivago.ie/killarney-42592/museum--exhibition--gallery/museum-of-irish-transport-133273
    http://www.tuugo.info/Companies/museum-of-irish-transport/0340002606400

Update much?

Had spotted a thread from 07 on this forum at the time of the sale. I realise the family had reasons to dispose of what was essentially a private collection, but given the choice of a faux Oirish superpub with crap bands playing every weekend/Celtic Tiger era retail outlets and the Museum as it was I know what I would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

AFAIK, most of the cars in the collection were transported to the UK and auctioned. Obviously any vehicle on loan to the museum was returned to their relevant owners, e.g. the 1927 Rolls Royce reg 'Z-287' was returned its former home..Airfield House, Dundrum, Co. Dublin. It's on display there now apparently (along with a few other vintage cars).

I also recall hearing or reading somewhere that the 1907 Silver Stream reg 'IO 1' was bought at the UK auction by an Irish collector and is back in Ireland - I hope this is the case as it's a unique (Irish-built) car c/w Co. Kildare's first issued registration number.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

It closed down due to the development of Scotts Hotel- two of the cars are now inside one of the entrance of The Gleneagle Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ballykine43

The 1929 Chambers is back in ownership of the Chambers family, in Co Down.

• Advertisement

The 1929 Chambers is back in ownership of the Chambers family, in Co Down.

Likewise I presume the red DeLorean was returned to it's N.I owner (Lady McGuinness?) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I know it will probably never happen but I would love to see a decent national motor museum in Ireland.
    There are plenty of cars out there worthy of being in such a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I promise i'll build one when I win the Euromillions!! :)

I know it will probably never happen but I would love to see a decent national motor museum in Ireland.
    There are plenty of cars out there worthy of being in such a place.

I agree.
    The basis for a motoring/transport museum is there already..the Transport Museum of Ireland, Howth. They seem to have a great core of volunteers who do trojan work restoring buses, trucks, military vehicles, etc. As far as I can see they just need a larger premises and some core funding to set up a more customer-friendly muesum....which in turn would be a major tourist attraction.

Surely there are many large warehouses in the greater Leinster area, or in the Midlands, owned by NAMA which could be made available for a motoring museum? (I read before many years ago that the museum was offered a site near Mullingar but it was hemmed-in by railway/roads and allowed little room for future expansion.).

Perhaps the IVVCC and the Transport Museum could team-up and push for a suitable site to be made available?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

dove2011 wrote: »
    It closed down due to the development of Scotts Hotel- two of the cars are now inside one of the entrance of The Gleneagle Hotel.

One of them is the fantastic 1905 Argyll 14/16hp that belonged to Knolly Stokes. IK 358.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Silvera wrote: »
    I agree.
    The basis for a motoring/transport museum is there already..the Transport Museum of Ireland, Howth. They seem to have a great core of volunteers who do trojan work restoring buses, trucks, military vehicles, etc. As far as I can see they just need a larger premises and some core funding to set up a more customer-friendly muesum....which in turn would be a major tourist attraction.

Surely there are many large warehouses in the greater Leinster area, or in the Midlands, owned by NAMA which could be made available for a motoring museum? (I read before many years ago that the museum was offered a site near Mullingar but it was hemmed-in by railway/roads and allowed little room for future expansion.).

Perhaps the IVVCC and the Transport Museum could team-up and push for a suitable site to be made available?

The recently vacated Columb Barracks in Mullingar would be an ideal location for a National Motor Museum.

unfit2006 wrote: »
    The recently vacated Columb Barracks in Mullingar would be an ideal location for a National Motor Museum.

Excellent suggestion!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i like the idea of a transport museum in the old army barracks in mullingar , but they already had a military museum there and it was closed down we dont seem to have a great track record for keeping museums up and running

kasper wrote: »
    i like the idea of a transport museum in the old army barracks in mullingar , but they already had a military museum there and it was closed down we dont seem to have a great track record for keeping museums up and running

However, the Museum at Collins Barracks, Dublin could be used a great example of what can be done at state level. It is the first dedicated state- display of army vehicles and air corps planes...and is very impressive for such a small space (relatively speaking).

I have an interest in military-related transport and am aware that there is a great collection of military trucks, jeeps, tanks etc in The Curragh, and a great collection of former Air Corps prop planes, jets and helicopters in Baldonnel which are just waiting for modest funding to be put in place in order to have two great museums up-and-running. Likewise the Naval Service base in Cobh could have an ex-Navy ship and a land-based museum in place which could lead to a military museum 'trail' being put in place for residents and tourists alike (i.e. Collins, Baldonnel, The Curragh and Cobh).

I believe that attitudes have gradually changed over recent years in Ireland as regards to conserving our transport heritage. However, there is (as always) a lot more which could be done.

I also believe that now is as good a time as ever for a push to be made to establish a dedicated consumer-friendly National Transport Museum.

Again, imho the barracks in Mullingar is a great suggestion!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

so we need someone who is well orginised to put together a proposal and have lots of signatures on it showing how this can be created and how much of an asset it would be just ringing Willy Penrose isnt going to do it any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

A local group has been formed in Mullingar calling itself "The friends of Coloumb Barracks".
    I am aware that it has had at least one public meeting to date to hear suggestions and to discuss ideas of possible alternative uses for the barracks. A number of suggestions were discussed including "a concert venue" or "location for a language school"
    As far as I am aware no formal submission/business case has yet been made to the Dept. of Defence for any proposal on the site.

As in most cases like this it would be useful to examine submissions made by other community groups in respect of similar proposals around the country, particularly those which were successful in receiving funding and support. It could well be the case that the best way forward is to enlist the services of a professional to assist in the preparation of a business plan.

Advertisement