Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Hollister off its american website

Options
  • 30-10-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys, heard you can buy hollister off its american website by using a website such as www.proxify.com and then putting in the usa hollister url address, but when it comes to shipping they dont offer ireland as an option? is there any way around this? heard of a few people being able to do it but maybe they have copped on since!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Hollister will ship to Ireland for €15. There's no need to go through a third party website.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

Hollister are located Dundrum Town Centre, so I personally wouldnt bother buying on line when you can buy and try instore and not have to worry about customs charges

Hollister website with euros prices
    http://eu.hollisterco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreView?catalogId=11558&langId=-1&storeId=19158

• Registered Users Posts: 14 liam1993

the whole reason i want to buy off the usa website is it works out quite cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Make sure that you factor in the cost of VAT & Duty on your purchases

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It won't work out cheaper I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

And the cost of VAT, duty, etc. works out just over 40% approx (and that is calculated on the cost of your goods PLUS shipping).

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I would say you would get a fairly large customs bill in addition to your purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Hi, I have a question about buying something from abroad and didn't know where to post it.

I ordered some clothes online form the Hollister website to the amount of 115 euro + 15 euro shipping and it clearly says "Recipient will not be charged any additional import duties or taxes. VAT and import duties on shipping and handling charges are included in the shipping and handling fee, and will be paid by Hollister Co. These fees are not refundable with merchandise returns, unless required by law."

and also says "Orders shipped within our European region will not be subject to any additional duties and taxes upon entering the country."

I took this to mean that the total amount I would pay is 130e overall and that was it. However, I've read up on boards about people saying they had to up to 40% of the total amount spent when purchasing form Hollister.

How is this possible? Surely if they say they'll pay the duty and VAT then I should not be liable? And surely if I say/show this to whoever looks for custom and excise duty from me than they will see that I should be liable? Or maybe there will be nothing said about extra payment at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Hi, I have a question about buying something from abroad and didn't know where to post it.

I ordered some clothes online form the Hollister website to the amount of 115 euro + 15 euro shipping and it clearly says "Recipient will not be charged any additional import duties or taxes. VAT and import duties on shipping and handling charges are included in the shipping and handling fee, and will be paid by Hollister Co. These fees are not refundable with merchandise returns, unless required by law."

and also says "Orders shipped within our European region will not be subject to any additional duties and taxes upon entering the country."

I took this to mean that the total amount I would pay is 130e overall and that was it. However, I've read up on boards about people saying they had to up to 40% of the total amount spent when purchasing form Hollister.

How is this possible? Surely if they say they'll pay the duty and VAT then I should not be liable? And surely if I say/show this to whoever looks for custom and excise duty from me than they will see that I should be liable? Or maybe there will be nothing said about extra payment at all :confused:

I've had about 5 orders from Hollister and never received a customs bill. I always took it from what they say that the foot the bill if there is one. I'm not sure if it actually come from US when you order from the EU website. My last order started its journey in Rotterdam according to the tracking.

heffo500 wrote: »
    I've had about 5 orders from Hollister and never received a customs bill. I always took it from what they say that the foot the bill if there is one. I'm not sure if it actually come from US when you order from the EU website. My last order started its journey in Rotterdam according to the tracking.

Thanks. Was just thinking it'd be disappointing for them to say they'd cover it and then receive a hefty bill :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

When you order from the Irish version of the website, you order in euro and VAT is included in this pice. You won't have to pay any extra taxes or charges other then shippin.

When you order on the American version of the website, you pay in dollars. On the face of if this is obviously cheaper, however you will have to pay customs charges - around 40% as mentioned previously. The package might arrive and slip through the customs net and you get away without paying anything, but it may not.

Also, bare in mind that if you ordered via the American version of the site and want to return anything, it could be very expensive to do so. Compare this to the Irish version where you only have to pay for postage within ireland

Good to know. As far as I know I bought it off of their European/Irish site because everything was in euro form the start! You hardly know do An Post deliver or is it a private courier? Hate having to direct couriers to my house on the phone :o

Advertisement