Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, advice?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but I am not convinced that that it was I am suffering from, and I was wondering could anyone suggest who (or indeed even what kind of person) I could see for a second opinion.

The diagnosis was based on pain in my shoulder blades which has been more or less constant for the past few years and has been getting worse over the past few months and also causes pain in the surrounding areas (upper to mid back and neck) headaches, intense tiredness and nausea when severe.

While the pain is severe I have no mobility issues whatsoever. The tirednessos becoming a problem, but I still work. and it seems to me to be on a different scale to what is described by most people with fibromyalgia. I also have aches in most of my other joints, which I put down to an auto immune reaction (I also have Crohn's disease), but these are not nearly so severe, more like a mild inconvenience.

I saw a physio who was quite convinced the problem was based in my joints, and not muscular. My gp also felt this was likely, so I was referred to a consultant rheumatologist who fibromyalgia. I just don't feel like this fits my symptons. My pain is focused in one area, does not respond one way or another to exercise.

Can anyone recommend what kind of person I should see for a second opinion? Another physio? Osteopath? I am reluctant to see another consultant as my experience of them has been poor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

Could your gastroenterologist give an opinion? They should presumably be used to the secondaries from Crohn's.

One of the GPs in my practice has a special interest in orthopaedics and one can book appointments to see him just for that - perhaps there are other GPs like him. That's orthopaedic medicine as opposed to orthopaedic surgery. Physios can be good too at giving an idea on diagnosis for localised problems.

Also, until recently, the proper way to diagnose Fibromyalgia was with tender points (11+ out of 18, both sides, top and bottom) - was that done?

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I didn't think fibromyalgia would be diagnosed based on those symptoms alone. I would certainly get a second opinion.

Where are you at? There is a fantastic Physio that I have been to who has worked wonders for me in one session and given me a completely different diagnosis that I was given from a consultant I have been seeing and I am in a lot lesson pain - and this woman has only started with me.

I think there are other therapists who can definitely give more informed answers and assessments than some of the consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Boardrat

kangaroo - the gastroenterologist has not in my experience been interested in secondaries. As I said, my experience with medical consultants has generally not been positive.

There was a physical examination, but the only part of my body which could possibly be described as a tender point is in both shoulder blades where the pain is centralised - that confused me too as the diagnostics criteria states seems to rule me out.

The consultant who diagnosed me would not discuss any of these concerns, he said I was not listening to him, but I really feel like this does not fit my symptoms.

He is highly qualified and experienced, however so were the gastro consultants and they have been proven wrong in the past.

Girl2, I am located in Dublin but willing to travel - while I am not disabled to the extent that seems to be typical of fibro sufferers, I have a lot of pain and fatigue and I'd like to get it sorted.

I'm going to see my GP next week too, so he might have some suggestions too.

Thank you both for your replies!

Advertisement