Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex while pregnant?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's supposed to be OK to do it. But do/did you do it?

I'm eleven weeks pregnant, it's my first pregnancy. It's a 'happy accident.' I'm feeling fine so far, but we haven't tried sex since before I did my test at six weeks.

My libido hasn't decreased, but neither of us are entirely comfortable with the idea of sex.

Obviously though it'll get more difficult as I get bigger, and from what we hear, we won't have much time for a while after baby comes along. So perhaps we should be making the most of it while we can.

Do most people do it? Or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Perfectly normal to have sex while pregnant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

make the most of it while you can and on the upside at least you wont have to worry about getting pregnant.
    after the baby comes you will probably have less time for it

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

If you are not comfortable with the idea then don't force yourselves to do it. But if you both feel like it along the line then definitely go for it, it's not that fun going without for so long really. I found pregnancy made me wanting it even more than usual, but OH is very uncomfortable with the idea. I'm 33 weeks now and unfortunately we haven't had sex since we found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

I think it's important to have sex, it makes me feel like i am still me and not just a baby making machine! Also as the pregnancy progresses its important to maketime for each other and be intimate otherwise i imagine the relationship might suffer. Its only going to be the two of you for a few more months so make the most of it! On another note i guess its the hormones, but I find sex is better despite feeling my least sexy ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I found my libido went up and down during pregnancy, so there were some... busy times, but some dry spells too.
    Like has been said, if you're not comfortable with it, there's no point in forcing it because you feel like it's something you should be doing.
    I think sometimes it's a bit like the same mindset of having sex for the first few times ever... until they're behind you and done it can seem like a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

I found that during my first trimester, everything was so new that I was nervous to do it, also there was the whole 'the baby is in the room!' feeling, plus the nausea that I was having anyway. Second trimester very different. For one thing, it's often a symptom to be feeling more up for it. Also because you've gone without it for the last couple of months, you no longer care about the 'baby in the room' thing and you just want some lovin! If you don't feel up to it right now, don't panic, just wait a couple of more weeks and see how you feel then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was like a dog on heat when I was pregnant. Total horn bag.

Ah, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I also found that during the 1st trimester I just didn't have the energy. It came back with a bang in the 2nd trimester. Coming towards the end the bump got in the way but we still made time for intimacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

January wrote: »
    I also found that during the 1st trimester I just didn't have the energy. It came back with a bang in the 2nd trimester. Coming towards the end the bump got in the way but we still made time for intimacy.
    Ditto for this. Don't have the same energy in my third trimester and my OH seems a little weirded out by the bump as he can feel the baby moving haha! Still trying to make time for it/each other before baby comes!! Enjoy it now before the bump gets big and awkward! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Think the most sex we had during my pregnancy was in the 9 days I went over. I'd have done anything to get the little sqwatter out.
    Didn't work though, he still had to be forcably evicted ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

One small point that hasn't been mentioned yet - if there's any reason for risk of miscarriage you'll be advised to abstain until wk 12/13. If that hasn't been discussed by your Dr then there's no reason to avoid sex if you both fancy it.

Other than that, as has been said already its common for 1st trimester tiredness nausea and sore boobs to leave many pregnant women off put on the idea at all. 2nd is the good times of manageable bump size and piles of hormones, 'horn dog days' and its widely commented that some women have the best sex of their lives in this phase :) 3rd is a mixed bag, the hippo sex isn't always comfortable but its proven to naturally enduce labour if your body is ready for it.

Don't over think it, there's enough going on esp in a first pregnancy. If and when you both fancy it, just go for it. (It is worth giving it a shot in the second trimester, just to see if you're one of the lucky ones that the hormone cocktail will knock you into overdrive ;) )

Congrats and good luck with the pregnacy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The only real difference is that you may have to try different positions as you'll have a belly in between you that isn't usually there. Don't forget the further along you get the fuller and firmer your breasts will be and your baby daddy will find that a huge turn on.

Advertisement