Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie tips needed.

Options
  • 30-10-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I've decided to chase up a lifelong wish to get more involved in Astronomy - (I still remember my national school project on Haley's commet & did want to become an astronaut but funnily enough didn't manage that one :p) So Where do I start?, I have signed up for a short online course in Astronomy this winter which should get me up to speed on the calculations needed but I need basic stuff first.:confused:
    A list or a point in the right direction to favourite websites, books, meetings (Limerick) would be greatly appreciated as well as a reccomendation for a basic starter telescope. I'm also on a budget so I can't be buying or building the hubble:eek:

I'm off to see have a root around the posts here - Looks like some interesting reading;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I think the intro by slade_x is a good start... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055203633. Good luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ronagig

Thanks a million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Shannonside Astronomy Club meet up in Limerick.

Michael.

Thanks Michael. Do you not need the basics to be joining a club? Are they okay with beginners & questions like "What's that shiny thing in the sky called????" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Ronagig wrote: »
    Thanks Michael. Do you not need the basics to be joining a club? Are they okay with beginners & questions like "What's that shiny thing in the sky called????" ;)

Most Astronomy Clubs are more than happy to accept new members who don't know the basics. We all had to start somewhere:)

Michael.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

I know that I'm still a beginner....and probably always will be :)

Clear skies,
    Peter

Thanks Peter :) When I read that I thought of "Socrates believed that the first step towards wisdom is knowing that ultimately you are ignorant" ;) I have a few beginner books due for pick up in the library this week & I've started reviewing my old Maths notes on calculus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Watch the Sky at Night on bbc each month and you can't go far wrong reading the sky notes jfsdas posts here every month ([thread=2056795771]November here[/thread]). As a beginner, it's great to have information on what to look out for each month even if it means hunting around the internet to find what various things mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Speaking of the Sky at Night, use their Winter Marathon to guide your observations. They have great notes and observing guides at this site. The observing guides are just beneath the sky maps...

http://astrog80.astro.cf.ac.uk/mwm/

There are 25 naked eye and binocular objects and 25 telescope objects. Some a bit odd (the celestial G seems a bit makey uppy to me!) but overall a good way to find your way around.

Advertisement