Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICB report understanding help

Options
  • 30-10-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I was just wondering can anyone help me with the following issue.

I was ill a few months ago and missed 5 payments on my GE Money loan and 5 payments on my MBNA credit card as i did not get paid while out on sick leave and illness benefit took weeks to come through, which just covered my rent etc. i was out of work for three months and was unable to pay these loans. to be honest i didnt think ide ever be able to work again but im in the clear health wise . i applied for my icb report afterwards and seen that it showed 5 missed payments and then a W after it. i cleared the loans in full a short time afterwards when i was back in work, the new report now show 5 missed payments i.e. 19 months ticks with no missed payments and 5 months x missed payments with a C after it.

the loan now shows up cleared but the missed payments are still there and they say schedule removal date is 2017! . is there anyway of improving this report? ge money and mbna were very un helpful in my situation, even though it was a serious illiness. i was hoping to get a mortgage in the next year or two. i have built up a nice savings bundle and my current account is now allways in credit 2000 and i dont spend below that.

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

carrieflem wrote: »
    I was just wondering can anyone help me with the following issue.

I was ill a few months ago and missed 5 payments on my GE Money loan and 5 payments on my MBNA credit card as i did not get paid while out on sick leave and illness benefit took weeks to come through, which just covered my rent etc. i was out of work for three months and was unable to pay these loans. to be honest i didnt think ide ever be able to work again but im in the clear health wise . i applied for my icb report afterwards and seen that it showed 5 missed payments and then a W after it. i cleared the loans in full a short time afterwards when i was back in work, the new report now show 5 missed payments i.e. 19 months ticks with no missed payments and 5 months x missed payments with a C after it.

the loan now shows up cleared but the missed payments are still there and they say schedule removal date is 2017! . is there anyway of improving this report? ge money and mbna were very un helpful in my situation, even though it was a serious illiness. i was hoping to get a mortgage in the next year or two. i have built up a nice savings bundle and my current account is now allways in credit 2000 and i dont spend below that.

thanks

Not sure what the W and C after the entries mean but the 5yr thing is accurate I'm afraid...

Any record of "bad debt" stays on the ICB list for 5 yrs from date of settlement (not the date missed , but the date you restored the account to order).

What you can do however is contact the ICB and they can place a comment on your account giving details of the issue for clarification. The entry remains there , but the company querying your credit rating will also receive the comments giving them the back-ground to the issue..

Whether they take heed of the comments is a separate thing, but it's the best you can do I'm afraid...

I know this from personal experience as a few years back, I discovered a bad debt entry on my ICB record (due to a Credit card I'd cancelled not being cancelled in time by the bank and the €40 stamp duty fee being left unpaid as I'd moved house and was not getting bills) - I couldn't remove the entry , but I was able to add comments as above to mitigate it...

Advertisement