Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive makes laptop shut down

Options
  • 30-10-2012 1:18pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, tried Googling but couldn't find a solution to this. I have a 500GB Hitachi Simpledrive Mini. It takes a USB and a small circular cable. Everytime I plug this into my Mac the Mac shuts down immediately. I don't have any other computer to try it out on that.

I have other hard drives and they're fine. I really need to get stuff off the Hitachi one. One issue may be that I've lost the original circular cable and I'm using the charger from a video camera. That used always work ok. It does mean that the hard drive is plugged into the wall for power, not the laptop.
    I don't know the name of the circular cable to get another one of those. Its a smaller circle to my other drives.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just googled, and it seems this device will run on usb power. Have you tried that? Power up computer, then attach drive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What do you mean? Only plug in USB but not the other one? I have it plugged in with just the USB now. It's turning on, and lighting up but not showing on the computer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried the drive in another machine? Does the Mac crash when the drive is plugged in? I will move this over to the Mac forum for ya where you may get a better response

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

I believe the mini only came with a 'Y' ( double @ one end ) USB cable to power it. Bigger brothers in the range have a 12V power supply and all models may use the same bridge board ( circuit board that connects to the drive ). Are you sure you are using a 12V power supply? Try powering the drive from the 'Y' USB cable ( not a single one ) with both USB connectors plugged in for greater power. You may have killed the bridge board in which case you will have to dismantle the box, extract the hard drive and put it in another enclosure.

Not a simple job.

Advertisement