Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Windows 8.....from where

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I took a look for a simple link to a credible website where I could upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, and cant find one. Within 2 clicks the trail has gone off on tangents which require pages of reading and volumes of do`s and don't`s . Has anyone got a simple link to a Microsoft upgrade site? TIA John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

I have Windows 7 Pro on 3 PCs......all legit and activated. I want to upgrade gradually if I can....over a few weeks. i DO like to have a CD/DVD though as I have seen so many disasters with online upgrades, usually due to a combination of slow internet and impatient users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

This post has been deleted.

You can also get it for 14.99. That's what I bought it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

There's a thread in Bargains HERE about it, for €14.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

You can also get it for 14.99. That's what I bought it for.

That's only if you bought your system within the promotional time period (2 June 2012 to 31 January 2013)

• Advertisement

That's only if you bought your system within the promotional time period (2 June 2012 to 31 January 2013)

I didn't. I built my own PC 8 months ago. I just googled Harvey Norman and thought of date after June 2 2012. It's on a USB now in case I ever decide to go to Windows 8.

Edit here's the link, http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-IE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Walker34 wrote: »
    I have Windows 7 Pro on 3 PCs......all legit and activated. I want to upgrade gradually if I can....over a few weeks. i DO like to have a CD/DVD though as I have seen so many disasters with online upgrades, usually due to a combination of slow internet and impatient users.
    Here's the store with the option to have it shipped. It costs double what the online upgrade costs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The upgrade download can be used to do a dual boot/clean install(in a round about way) also.

When you run the upgrade assistant to download it select nothing when asked what setting files you want to keep.

It will then download a full iso , later it will give the option to create a iso/dvd

Once you have a windows installation already on the machine you can dual boot with windows 8 using normal methods (google how). You could then remove the old windows install if you wanted. Take care if removing the old install , make sure to read up on the fixmbr command from the recovery console first if anything goes wrong doing that

I've tested this personally :)

Edit : and had to use the fixmbr command after I did something silly removing windows 7 ...... d'oh :D

calex71 wrote: »
    The upgrade download can be used to do a dual boot/clean install(in a round about way) also.

When you run the upgrade assistant to download it select nothing when asked what setting files you want to keep.
    Crap I chose "Keep Windows settings, personal files and apps". Will I still be able to do a clean install?

Crap I chose "Keep Windows settings, personal files and apps". Will I still be able to do a clean install?

How big was the download? mine was 2,764,736kb

Sure put it on a dvd and see what happens if you boot off of it, see if it lets you choose a custom install assuming you have unpartitioned space or a bank partition at that point.

More info here if you have activation issues later http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    How big was the download? mine was 2,764,736kb

Sure put it on a dvd and see what happens if you boot off of it, see if it lets you choose a custom install assuming you have unpartitioned space or a bank partition at that point.

More info here if you have activation issues later http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

It's 2.62GB. So, if I put the USB in and get the custom install option It will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If all else fails, once it's actually installed, there's an option to wipe all settings and apps to default, which would basically be the same thing as a clean install in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I did as calex said.

Bought it for 30e last night and clean installed. my win7 install prolly needed a refresh anyway. Also, it may not have been 100% legit :|

Problem free new install - only two things were no realtek hd audio manager and my zuneHD needing .net3.5 blah.

win8 works well with dual monitors. gaming will be the big test for me tho

kaimera wrote: »
    I did as calex said.

Bought it for 30e last night and clean installed. my win7 install prolly needed a refresh anyway. Also, it may not have been 100% legit :|

Problem free new install - only two things were no realtek hd audio manager and my zuneHD needing .net3.5 blah.

win8 works well with dual monitors. gaming will be the big test for me tho

Think I mentioned in another thread but I'll post again as it took me a bit of googling to get the answer, you can send the metro stuff between screens with windows + page up/down, and a normal window with win + shift + left/right cursor. much better than dragging and resizing :)

Love the fact that you can now extend left and not just right but it's taking me a while to adjust to the fact i don't have to go the wrong way to get to my other screen with the mouse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Love the fact that you can now extend left and not just right
    ? You've been able to do this, at least since Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

I started the upgrade from xp and paid for the upgrade but the upgrade crashed on me and I have not got a key emailed to me so I can't start it again or I will have to pay for it again. Should I have got a product code emailed to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kevez wrote: »
    I started the upgrade from xp and paid for the upgrade but the upgrade crashed on me and I have not got a key emailed to me so I can't start it again or I will have to pay for it again. Should I have got a product code emailed to me?
    Im not sure how you processed your upgrade, it shouldn't have even begun without a valid key.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

It happened after I put in my PayPal details I googled it and it has happened to a few people when they paid with PayPal it crashes straight after it. it must be a bug in windows upgrade assistant looks like I have to put in a claim through PayPal :(

Advertisement