Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making a claim

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I've put in two claims against my former employer for the following:
    1) discrimination of sexual orientation, discriminatory dismissal, bullying and harassment, all under the Employment Equality Act 1998-2008.
    2) unlawful deductions under the payment of Wages Act 1991.
    I'm wondering as to how long does it normally take , firstly , for me to get acknowlegement of the claim by the courts, and secondly how long will it take to actually go to court.? thanks in advanced

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Shoould this not go to EAT? Do you not have legal representation?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

Shoould this not go to EAT? Do you not have legal representation?

Yeah, I sent it in the post on friday, to the EAT. I can't afford legal representation, as Im a full-time student and Im only 21. I was in contact however with Citizens information, and from the information provided to me, they said I dont need legal representation, so Im a bit unsure to be honest. Any suggestions most welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

psalbmb wrote: »
    Any suggestions most welcome:)

Although you may represent yourself, you could find yourself at a disadvantage if the other party is represented and you are not, particularly if a legal point arises.

You could ring around a few law firms and find a solicitor who is willing to meet you to advise you in relation to employment law matters. Make it clear that you cannot pay for representation at the moment.

At the very least you should get advice, but you should also ask about the cost of representation, and if you could pay after your cases have been concluded. You should ask about payment options here, and a good solicitor should be able to make some helpful, practical suggestions.

You should also ask about your other employment law rights, bearing in mind that you may be running out of time to bring further claims in respect of such rights.

NERA has some examples of employees' rights. http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployees/whataremyrights/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Yeah, I sent it in the post on friday, to the EAT. I can't afford legal representation, as Im a full-time student and Im only 21. I was in contact however with Citizens information, and from the information provided to me, they said I dont need legal representation, so Im a bit unsure to be honest. Any suggestions most welcome:)

Go along to a FLAC centre - your college may have one. (Are you at GCD? Their's is up and running soon)

Go along to a FLAC centre - your college may have one. (Are you at GCD? Their's is up and running soon)

what is a FLAC Centre? Im a college student in NCI (National College of Ireland).

• Advertisement

Although you may represent yourself, you could find yourself at a disadvantage if the other party is represented and you are not, particularly if a legal point arises.

You could ring around a few law firms and find a solicitor who is willing to meet you to advise you in relation to employment law matters. Make it clear that you cannot pay for representation at the moment.

At the very least you should get advice, but you should also ask about the cost of representation, and if you could pay after your cases have been concluded. You should ask about payment options here, and a good solicitor should be able to make some helpful, practical suggestions.

You should also ask about your other employment law rights, bearing in mind that you may be running out of time to bring further claims in respect of such rights.

NERA has some examples of employees' rights. http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployees/whataremyrights/

Well I'm not an expert in the field of Employment Law, however I am studying it at present so I have a fair idea. I've been in contact with a solicitor but I filled out on the complaints form, that I will not have representation, so If i decided to employ a solicitor, would It be ok for me to be accompanied during a hearing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

FLAC= free legal advice centre.
    http://www.flac.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

would It be ok for me to be accompanied during a hearing?

See link and contact the EAT or your solicitor if you have a doubt.

Advertisement