Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dished record. Any tips/tricks to remedy it?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

I have a record, bought a month or two ago that is dished/concave/convex, call it what you will. I haven't even looked into sending it back yet so there's still that route to consider, but are there any trusted techniques for flattening out a dished or warped record?

It plays fine but on one side if I cue it up and then let it go, it wheelspins for a few seconds before gradually catching up with the platter. If I start it with a nudge it goes flying, then eventually slows down.

I'm guessing some combination of heat and pressure should fix it but wondering how hard it might be and what sort of results might be likely.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭francois

Stick a big pile of 12's on top of it, leave for a good week, has worked for me in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

AS above but use something else to apply pressure,as there is no easier way to ruin the covers of a stack of 12's than stacking them flat on top of one another.

Also place the record 'dished' side down - if that makes sense i.e so the hump is sticking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

bitd we'd put the record between 2 sheets of glass and leave it in the sun to flatten it out. It worked reasonably well on a summers day. I suppose in theory you could do the same thing in the oven on a very low (defrost) heat. I've never tried that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Bend it back a few times, usually sorts it out sooner or later. Francois's tip is a winner too.

Advertisement