Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universities vs ITs

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I wont beat around the bush. I have an inferiority complex about ITs compared to unis. But saying that, I know people who say there are ITs out there that are every bit as good as any uni out there.

So what's your experience? Are Irish ITs close to our universities? Bests and worsts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Pea 9 wrote: »
    I wont beat around the bush. I have an inferiority complex about ITs compared to unis. But saying that, I know people who say there are ITs out there that are every bit as good as any uni out there.

So what's your experience? Are Irish ITs close to our universities? Bests and worsts?

If you're looking at league tables you really need to head off to the UK or US. TCD gives a good showing but the rest are pretty unknown outside of Ireland. Subject is very important as is what you want to do with it. I can only speak to law as an example; it doesn't matter where you do it in this country if you want to be a barrister - its all the same (baring better contacts perhaps). Solicitors might be a different story, but realistically your undergraduate degree is such a small part of the selection process in many jobs.

Last point is; it doesn't matter where you start it's where you end up. A 2.1 from a private college would get you on a Trinners masters (in law). An undergraduate degree is almost an extension of school here - a masters or PhD is really needed to set you apart.

It might be different for engineering or sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

In general yes but there's very little difference. Just that Ballyfermot IT doesn't sound as good as UCD.

I would say that DIT has a better reputation than DCU, not sure what that's based on.

The most important thing is to make sure its level 8 if you plan on working outside Ireland!

Advertisement