Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Rock on TV / radio - Good thread to sub to get your fix

• 29-10-2012 7:50pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We might as well have a place to post up our links, online classic rock resources.

Couple radio stations you can listen to online:

Planet Rock Radio
    Radio Nova

Please post any of your favourites and I will update this post.

There's a songbook Ray Davies special on right now on Sky Arts 1. Gary Moore and Thin Lizzy: Live and Dangerous on from 10pm tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't listen to that much music these days but used to be a Heavy Rock fan and recently came across this station http://www.radioseagull.com which broadcasts from an old Lightship in Holland. The last (?) in a line of independent stations broadcasting from ships which included Radio Caroline and Radio Scotland. Plays plenty of classic rock and is like something which has broken through from the 1970's. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Live and Dangerous seems to be on Sky Arts quite a bit atm so if you missed it have a look at the T.V. guide and you can probably catch it again/ record it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pcass31

sorry off topic here but is it just me or is all chart music aimed at children and pop, rock,pop,rap etc all had there place at 1 stage.it seems all music in the charts is pop now. not a fan off rap but surely even there disgusted by pop versions of what they call hip hop like snow patrol representing rock who i'd class as pop. seems 2 me if u look u will find great rock and roll bands example the answer but people don't care for talented musicians anymore. am i just stuck in the past or is really gone to f**** like to know what people think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Zenith Classic Rock, netcasting from Waterford

winamp AAC 32k http://184.105.134.25:8002
    winamp MP3 64k http://184.105.134.25:8004

BBC 4 Friday Nov 07th

9 pm AC/DC Live at River plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The best quality stream for Zenith is http://totalbroadcast.net/streams/zenith128.pls

Live shows some weekends plus upcoming FM and AM transmissions in the new year, covering the South-East.

A.

Vintage TV, channel something or other on Freesat and SKY (517)

Not that much rock but it does have some on rotation and the odd concert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Zenith Classic Rock will be on proper radio in the new year.

From 5th Jan, for 15 weekends, on 103.8FM, 1584 AM Stereo and DAB Digital Radio.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Didn't see it listed so thought I would suggest last fm, great source of classic rock and if you have an xbox 360 you can get the last fm app on it to blare the great tunes through the telly :D

http://www.last.fm/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ClassicRockFan

How about classic rock on the web?

www.talkclassicrock.com/forums

Other various topics beside music, like here, can be discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sky Arts often has classic rock gigs on - last night they had The Stones on their "Some Girls" tour from 1978, great stuff with Jagger spending most of the gig playing guitar which is unusual to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just found what is currently my favourite radio station, 3WK, they're based in St. Louis, Missouri
    http://www.3wk.com/artists_choose.php

They have 3 streams, try the classic one. Have it saved on my internet radio and in my Tune In app, think I can delete all the others!
    It's completely different to Nova, they play way more obscure stuff and some folky stuff too. They're not afraid to play a long trippy song either. To give you an idea, here's the last 3 songs they played:

No ads either.

BBC4 Friday 10 pm

Also on BBC Four 2:55am Sat 9 March (ie overnight tonight) and BBC Four 12:40am Mon 11 March

The Ballad of Mott the Hoople
    Documentary telling the story of Hereford rock band Mott the Hoople, whose best-known hit, All the Young Dudes, was written for them by David Bowie. The film features rare and previously unseen footage, with contributions by former band members Ian Hunter, Mick Ralphs and Verden Allen, as well as Queen's Roger Taylor and ex-Clash guitarist Mick Jones

That Mott Doc was rather good fun, a few more programmes about the "nearly" bands of the 60s and 70s would be welcome

BBC4 various Classic Rock shows being repeated, over the next week, check listings for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silverdolphin

Yeah I would agree with GAA man, last.fm is good for discovering new music. If you like a classic rock band, the site will give you a multitude of recommendations and you can also make friends depending on your music taste. Try grooveshark also for listening to some albums. I'm not a fan of music channels like Kerrang or Scuzz, because they always play the same songs and they won't broaden your horizons if you're looking for new bands to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mianla1

Vintage Cream on sky arts now. Brill again

Vintage Chanel has
    Best Of British Hard Rock Bands
    Turn the amp up to 11 for this collection of hard rock favourites. We've got masters of rock The Who, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Def Leppard to thank for ruining our ear drums. Ear plugs next time
    Category reserved
    Vintage TV 9:00pm-10:00pm (1 hour ) Thu 23 May

and
    Vintage Metal
    Time to dust off the air guitar, warn the neighbours that spring is in the air - a heavy metal one - and take that dial to 11. Now join us to open up the memory floodgates
    Category reserved
    Vintage TV 10:00pm-11:00pm (1 hour ) Thu 23 May
    Starts in 2 hour(s) 22 minutes

tonight and no doubt on rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lyonsm65

For anyone on Facebook a Guy called Ricky Mcabe runs a page called Classic rock ireland and post some good polls and discussions and vids , well worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hagar the Nice.

BBC2 11.05 pm Friday
    Telstar: The Joe Meek Story (2008)
    Biopic of the influential 1960s record producer who became a success with a string of number-one hits, including the multi-million-selling Telstar, but was ultimately brought down by depression and paranoia as his volatile personality drove away those closest to him. With Con O'Neill, Kevin Spacey, Pam Ferris and JJ Feild

Fascinating fella, the BBC Arena doc "The Strange Story of Joe Meek" was very good.

Floyd on BBC4 9 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Did anyone see the ad on Rock Gods for Sat Nov 23 with 3 artists Bruce Springsteen, Billy Idol & Freddie Mercury.

My question it didnt specify a time & when looking up the sky epg, that channel is no more since Nov 4th 2013 check here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

How about classic rock on the web?

www.talkclassicrock.com/forums

Other various topics beside music, like here, can be discussed.
    Great website,cheers for the post.

Advertisement