Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying for BTEA - possible to sign off & on to satisfy no. of days requirement?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

Hopefully someone might know the answer to this. It's a little bit complicated.

I lost my job in late June and have been signing on since then. The job hunt isn't going too well so I am thinking of a return to college next year to do a graduate diploma of some kind. I would like to qualify for the BTEA but it looks like the timing is going to go against me as my Jobseeker's Benefit claim will run out before I could apply for BTEA.
    • At the moment I have been on JB for 114 days (198 days remaining)
    • To qualify for BTEA you need to be in receipt of JB for at least 234 days immediately prior to applying.
    So my question is this: can I close my JB claim now, re-apply again in mid-December for a new 'sheet' of 312 days, and then apply for the BTEA 234 days later if I still can't find a job by that time?

Sally

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Take a good read of the information here

If you signed on in June you should have the days to apply for BTEA. Those applications would be processed late Aug - early Sept. Signing on in December could cause you problems as they have started to count the days to be stricter on applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Hi

I am on similar situation like Sally26.

I was on JB and part time worker A few months ago and my JB has finished in June. I continued to work a few hours a week and look for a full time job, but as you said is difficult to get one. At the moment I know that I will become unemployed, so I was thinking about hold on with registering to come back on JB in December to( just in case I do not find a full time job) be eligible for BTEA in September.

I was sure that to qualify for BTEA I must be no more or less 9 months on JB immediately before Sept... :

For third level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*). You must be getting the qualifying payment immediately before you start the course.

Do I and Sally26 count it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sally26

Hi Dores,

I don't think so. You're right when you say that you only qualify if you are at least 9 months receiving payment immediately before the course starts.

I know that I definitely won't qualify if I just continue to claim. For me, Jobseeker's Benefit will become means tested in June which I don't think I will pass so definitely won't qualify for BTEA. Hence, I'm wondering about signing off and on again as like you, I'm worried that come Sept I still won't have found something such is the scarcity of jobs.

Advertisement